How do I integrate Gaussian form equations without prior knowledge?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about Gaussian form integration and the attempt to solve it using integration by parts. However, an expert intervenes and explains that the correct method is to change variables and use the erf() function. They also point out that the given integrals in the problem are incorrect.
sanitykey
[SOLVED] Gaussian Form Integration

Homework Statement

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9489/001km6.jpg

I'm trying to do the last part.

Homework Equations

Stated in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

For (iii) i know the probability density is:

[tex]A^2e^{- \frac{x^2}{\sigma ^2}}[/tex]

Edit: Deleted my first attempt which I'm pretty sure was wrong and I tried using integration by parts which looked quite promising:

The integral I'm trying to do is:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sigma} A^2e^{- \frac{x^2}{\sigma ^2}} dx [/tex]

(Take the [tex]A^2[/tex] out for now)

Which i can split into:

[tex]A^2\int_{0}^{\sigma} e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}} e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}} dx [/tex]

Let u = [tex]e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}}[/tex] and dv = [tex]e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}}[/tex]

then du = [tex]-\frac{x}{\sigma ^2}e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}} dx [/tex] and v = [tex](0.68) \sqrt{2\pi} \sigma[/tex]

Using [tex]\int udv = uv - \int vdu[/tex] The integral becomes:

[tex]\left[e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}}(0.68) \sqrt{2\pi}\sigma \right]_{0}^{\sigma}[/tex] - [tex](0.68) \sqrt{2\pi} \sigma \int_{0}^{\sigma} -\frac{x}{\sigma ^2}e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}} dx [/tex]

= [tex]\left[e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}}(0.68) \sqrt{2\pi} \sigma\right]_{0}^{\sigma}[/tex] - [tex]\left[e^{- \frac{x^2}{2\sigma ^2}}(0.68) \sqrt{2\pi} \sigma\right]_{0}^{\sigma}[/tex]

Which i think = 0 and then multiplied by [tex]A^2[/tex] still = 0

Is this right?

Thanks
Richy

Edit 2: Woops i put xs instead of es that was probably really confusing to anyone who read this before my edit, sorry!

Edit 3: Actually when i think about the graph for this which would generally be a gaussian shape and it wants me to integrate or find the area between 0 and [tex]\sigma[/tex] i don't see how the result can be 0, i think i might have went wrong somewhere but i can't see where.

Edit 4: Ok i just found these answers in a different paper apparently:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sigma} e^{- \frac{x^2}{\sigma ^2}} dx = (0.421)\sigma \sqrt{\pi} [/tex]

and

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{- \frac{x^2}{\sigma ^2}} dx = \sigma \sqrt{\pi} [/tex]

From this i can see that the probability of finding the particle is 0.421 but why didn't my integration work? How would i work this out without this knowledge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Great. You found it. You can't figure that out by integrating by parts like that. You do it by changing variables so the integrand becomes exp(-t^2), so in this case t=x/sigma. Once you have done that, you STILL can't do the integral but the function, integral from 0 to x of (2/sqrt(pi))exp(-t^2) is a standard function called erf(x). You can find tables of it or you may find it on your calculator. In your case the 0.421 is erf(1)/2. BTW, I think the two integrals given in your hint are both off by a factor of two.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Dick,

I've never come across the erf() function before but i understand what it is now, apparently my calculator isn't that good :P (unless perhaps it has a different name i couldn't see any "erf" button) mathcad can probably do it though or i could find some tables like you say.

Which integrals are you talking about by the way? I'm sure the ones i copied down are correct.

Also both these questions are exactly the same (same marks, same wording) the only difference is one has [tex]2\sigma ^2[/tex] whereas the other has [tex]\sigma ^2[/tex] yet the methods seem to be completely different? I mean with this the ratio would give me an answer of 0.68/2 = 0.34 but this is for the [tex]2\sigma ^2[/tex] function and therefore not at all helpful?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is with the question i originally posted can i use those integrals given to me in any useful way? Or is the erf() function the only way to go about this?

Last edited:
The integrals you were given in the problem were not the integrals you needed to do the problem (as you know). And you would compute them the same way as you would the other one. For the first one, I get erf(1/sqrt(2))/2 times the sqrt(2*pi)*s. That numerical erf part comes out to 0.34 - not 0.68. So they aren't only the wrong integrals, they aren't even correct. It's a pretty sloppy problem.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the help, that's cleared things up for me.

1. What is Gaussian Form Integration?

Gaussian Form Integration is a numerical integration method used to approximate the definite integral of a function. It is based on the Gaussian quadrature formula, which uses a set of predetermined points and weights to approximate the integral.

2. How does Gaussian Form Integration work?

Gaussian Form Integration works by dividing the interval of integration into smaller subintervals and approximating the function within each subinterval using a polynomial. The integral of the polynomial is then calculated using the Gaussian quadrature formula, and the results are summed to approximate the overall integral.

3. What are the advantages of using Gaussian Form Integration?

One advantage of Gaussian Form Integration is that it provides more accurate results compared to other numerical integration methods, especially for functions with rapidly changing slopes. It also requires fewer function evaluations, making it faster and more efficient.

4. Are there any limitations of Gaussian Form Integration?

One limitation of Gaussian Form Integration is that it is only applicable for functions with smooth and continuous derivatives. It may also be less accurate for functions with multiple peaks or oscillatory behavior.

5. How is Gaussian Form Integration used in scientific research?

Gaussian Form Integration is commonly used in scientific research to approximate integrals in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used in solving differential equations and in statistical analysis. Its accuracy and efficiency make it a popular choice for numerical integration in various scientific fields.