Efficiently Solve Gaussian Integration with Expert Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to an integral involving x^2 and exp(-(x-w)^2), which is connected to Gaussian Integration. The conversation also mentions a trick for solving such integrals and the use of a substitution to simplify the integral. In the end, the conversation also touches on a similar integral with the added term of -j*x. The solution involves completing the square to simplify the integral.
TheMightyJ

Homework Statement

Basically, i have to find the solution to:

Int( x2 * exp (-(x-w)^2) , x= -infinity.. infinity)

Homework Equations

I realize this is connected to Gaussian Integration. So that if i have Int (exp(-x2), x=-infinity ... infinity) the answer is sqrt(Pi)

Also, i have read that there is a trick to solving such an integral.

you would consider F(a) = Int exp( - a * x^2) ( = sqrt(pi/a) ).

and then int dx x^2 exp(-x^2) = - F'(a) for a=1.

i understand this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, the above is how i have attempted to work a way towards the solution, the trouble i am having is with a substitution i realize i must make at some point. at some point i must have x = x - w

But how do i implement this substitution??

This is my first post here, so hopefully that was somewhat clear and the relevant info is there. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this is the easiest solution, but you can try u = x - w. The integral splits into three integrals, which can be solved easily.

u = x-w
du = dx

Then, x = u+w, so x^2 = (u+w)^2, and the integral becomes:
[tex] \int (u+w)^2 e^{-u^2}\,du[/tex]

Will give that a try! thank you very much!

Yep, tried it and it worked, brilliant, thank you!

Okay, so there is another question, similar in some ways to the previous one, but i am also having trouble. Mainly I am stuck on where to start!

The integral this time is

Int ( e-(x-w)2 - j*x dx

the limits of integration are again, -infinity to infinity.

obviously there is some sort of gaussian integral stuff going on, but that "-j*x" has thrown me off, how should i deal with this?

just an idea to help me get started would be muchly appreciated, thanks!

You need to complete the square in this case. That is write (x-w)^2+jx as (...)^2+constant.

Obviously. Thank you! really not spotting obvious techniques today. Thanks for the help!

j is not the imaginary number j (or i) right? If it is, that makes matters a little different.

no no, j is just the coefficient of x. Thanks.

What is a Gaussian integral?

A Gaussian integral is a type of definite integral that involves a Gaussian function, which is a bell-shaped curve. It is used to solve problems related to probability, statistics, and physics.

How do you solve a Gaussian integral?

There are various methods to solve a Gaussian integral, but the most common approach is to use substitution or integration by parts. In some cases, using special functions such as the error function may also be necessary.

What are the applications of Gaussian integrals?

Gaussian integrals have many practical applications in science and engineering. They are used in signal processing, data analysis, and image processing. They are also used in quantum mechanics to solve problems related to the Schrodinger equation.

Why is the Gaussian integral important?

The Gaussian integral is important because it allows us to solve complex problems involving the normal distribution. It is also a fundamental tool in many fields of science and has numerous applications in real-world problems.

Are there any limitations to using Gaussian integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to using Gaussian integrals. They may not always be solvable in closed form, and numerical methods may be required. They also have limited applicability to non-Gaussian functions or distributions.