1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Integral Question

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The integral of (x^n)(e^(-a*x^2)) is easier to evaluate when n is odd.
    a) Evaluate ∫(x*e^(-a*x^2)*dx) (No computation allowed!)
    b) Evaluate the indefinite integral of x*e^(-a*x^2), using a simple substitution.
    c) Evaluate ∫(x*e^(-a*x^2)*dx) [from o to +inf]
    d) Differentiate the previous result to evaluate ∫((x^3)(e^(-a*x^2))dx)

2. Relevant equations

∫(e^(-a*x^2)*dx) = (1/2)√(∏/a)

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that the easiest solution might be using integration by parts, but I ran into the issue of the range being different on the integrals, and I have no idea how else I can do this unless I can assume that the function is even...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What are the limits on the integrals?

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    The first one is -inf to inf, second is indefinite, third is 0 to inf, and fourth is 0 to inf.

5. Sep 3, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need integration by parts for any of those. Take them one at a time. Start with a). The integrand isn't even, it's odd.

6. Sep 3, 2013 #5
    Alright, I figured out the first one in class by drawing the graph for x and e^(-ax^2) and realized that the x made the function odd, as you said, and that the integral was then 0 for -inf to inf.

I'm gonna try and tackle c) and d) because I have no idea where to start on b) with that substitution. My brain is stuck on integration by parts >_> if you could give me a hint or something as to where to begin with the indefinite integral, that would be great!

7. Sep 3, 2013 #6
    Update: Just tried substituting u = a*x^2 into the integral, and it evaluated to -(1/2a)*e^(-a*x^2)

I think it's right... but I'm not sure, the substitution worked though because the du = 2ax dx which means we can just throw the constants in there.

8. Sep 3, 2013 #7
    Another Update: The above equation is correct because it yields the correct value for part c).

Now I'm just stuck on d) where it's asking me to differentiate... More later if I figure it out.

9. Sep 3, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try differentiating it and see if you recover the integrand.

10. Sep 3, 2013 #9
    Got it! Taking the derivative with respect to a of part c) yields the answer! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted