Gaussian Integral Using Residues

In summary, the conversation is about attempting to use contour integration to solve the Gaussian integral. However, the speaker realizes they have made a mistake and the integral actually diverges on the arc. They discuss different ways to solve the integral, including using polar coordinates and a function involving sin and cos. The conversation also mentions an article and issue of a math journal that discuss different methods for solving the integral.
ghotra
I am trying to to the Gaussian integral using contour integration.

What terrible mistake have I made.

[tex]
I = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \mathrm{e}^{-x^2} \mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

I consider the following integral:

[tex]
\int_C \mathrm{e}^{-z^2} \mathrm{d}z
[/tex]

where [itex]C[/itex] is the half-circle (of infinite radius) in the upper-half plane.
There are no singularities in the upper-half plane. So,

[tex]
\int_C \mathrm{e}^{-z^2} \mathrm{d}z = 0
[/tex]

Now, I can break this integral up into two parts.

[tex]
0 = \int_C \mathrm{e}^{-z^2} \mathrm{d}z = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \mathrm{e}^{-x^2} \mathrm{d}x + \int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi} \mathrm{e}^{-z^2} \mathrm{d}z
[/tex]

Or...

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty \mathrm{e}^{-x^2} \mathrm{d}x &= - \int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi} \mathrm{e}^{-z^2} \mathrm{d}z =
-\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{e}^{-R^2 \exp(2\mathrm{i}\theta)}\cdot \mathrm{i} R \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\theta} \mathrm{d}\theta \stackrel{?}{=} \sqrt{\pi}
[/tex]

I know the answer should be [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]...so the RHS must give this result! But it does not...at least, I have convinced myself that the RHS actually goes to zero. The exponential dominates the linear term, so in the limit as R goes to infinity, the RHS equals zero.

How can this be...it seems I have shown that the gaussian integral is zero.

I should cry.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The terrible mistake have you made is the Gaussian diverges to infinity on the arc. You could show that all the integrals of the Gaussian from 0 to points r*exp(i theta) are equal when sin(theta)<=cos(theta). This won't answer any thing though as you would still need to calculate one such integral. I feel that this integral is not best done by contour integration (though it is possible and I have seen it done). There are other easier ways.

lurflurf said:
The terrible mistake have you made is the Gaussian diverges to infinity on the arc.
...which becomes painfully obvious when I include the effect of the oscillations. It is true that R->infinity makes exp(-R^2 exp(2*I*theta)) very large...but the oscillation causes it to go back and forth between +infinity and -infinity.

It seems that no matter which contour I pick (as far as infinite semi-circles go), I will have this issue. At iR and -iR, e^(-z^2) will have trouble. Thus, it seems that my contour CANNOT be anything that goes to infinity in the imaginary part.

I know that the Guassian integral can be done easily in polar coordinates...that doesn't concern me. I _want_ to do it when complex integration. So how do you do it?

This page about statistics
http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/maths/histstat/
has an article called Information on the History of the Normal Law
in which the desired integral is found 7 ways. #7 uses contour integration
In specific the function f(z)=exp(pi i z^2)/sin(pi z) is integrated on the parallelogram with vertices +-1/2+-Rexp(pi i/4) where R goes to infinity.
Also the oct 98' issue of the American Mathematical Monthly has an article on this integral (actually an integral that this one is a special case of).

What is a Gaussian Integral?

A Gaussian Integral is a type of integral that involves the function e-x2, also known as the Gaussian function. It is commonly used in probability and statistics, as well as in physics and engineering.

How do you solve a Gaussian Integral using Residues?

To solve a Gaussian Integral using Residues, you first need to convert the integral into a complex contour integral. Then, you can use the Residue Theorem to evaluate the integral by finding the residues of the function at its singular points.

What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows you to evaluate contour integrals by using the residues of a function at its singular points. It states that the value of a contour integral is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues inside the contour.

What are the singular points of a Gaussian Integral?

The singular points of a Gaussian Integral are the points where the function e-x2 becomes infinite, which are at x = ±i. These are the points where the function has poles, and they are important in using the Residue Theorem to solve the integral.

What are some applications of Gaussian Integrals?

Gaussian Integrals have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in probability and statistics, in solving differential equations, and in studying the behavior of physical systems. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.