1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian integral

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We know that
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ax^2}dx = \sqrt{\pi \over a}[/tex].

Does this hold even if [tex]a[/tex] is complex?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the derivation of the above equation, I don't see any reason why we must assume that [tex]a[/tex] be real. So I think it does hold for complex [tex]a[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

It holds for Re(a)>0.

4. Jun 3, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes … it relies on [tex]e^{-ax^2}\arrowvert_{\infty}\,=\,0[/tex] .

If a = b + ic, then [tex]e^{-ax^2}=\,e^{-bx^2}e^{-icx^2}[/tex] , which is 0 if b > 0, and really wobbly if b ≤ 0. :smile:

5. Jun 3, 2008 #4
    Great. Thank you for your replies.

6. Jun 3, 2008 #5
    Hi again. I'd just like to make a remark that is bothering me. I created this thread because I was trying to find a Green function and arrived at
    [tex]G(x,x',t) = {1\over{2\pi}}e^{im(x-x')\over{2t}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-{it\over{2m}}\left(p-{m(x-x')\over t}\right)^2}[/tex].
    Please ignore everything except the integral.
    When I naiively use the gaussian integral formula in my original post, I get the correct answer. But according to what you said, I should not be able to do this since (i.e. Re(a)<0) in this case. Can you see any reason for this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?