1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Integral

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    I see that the formula for this general integral is

[tex] \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} x^{2}e^{-Ax^{2}}dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2A^{3/2}}[/tex]

However, I am not getting this form with my function. I transformed the integral using integration by parts so that I could use another gaussian integral that I knew at the time.

[tex] \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} x^{2}e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}dx [/tex]

Let [tex] u = x^{2} \rightarrow du = 2x dx [/tex]

[tex] dv = e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}dx \rightarrow v = -\frac{\hbar}{4amx}e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}} [/tex]

[tex] \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} x^{2}e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}dx = \left x^{2}\left(-\frac{\hbar}{4amx}e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}\right)\right|^{+\infty}_{-\infty}-\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\left(-\frac{\hbar}{4amx}e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}\right)2xdx[/tex]

The middle term equals zero, so letting [tex]z =\left(\sqrt{2am/\hbar}\right)x \rightarrow dx= \left(\sqrt{\hbar/2am}\right)dz[/tex] gives

[tex] \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} x^{2}e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}dx = \frac{\hbar}{2am}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}\right)dx=\left(\frac{\hbar}{2am}\right)^{3/2}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-z^{2}}dz =\left(\frac{\hbar}{2am}\right)^{3/2}\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

which is not in the appropriate form--missing a factor of 1/2. I can't see where I am going wrong. Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take your function v and differentiate to get dv. It's not what you say it is. Use the product rule. You usually handle this problem by differentiating the integral of exp(-Ax^2) with respect to A.
  4. Aug 7, 2008 #3

Yes, this is exactly right. Thanks dick. I forgot to consider the 'x'.
  5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, this is incorrect. It looks like you are taking the derivative rather than the anti-derivative. [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] does NOT have an elementary anti-derivative.

I would recommend taking u= x, [itex]dv= x e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{\hbar}}dx [/quote] instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?