1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Integral

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    EDIT: meant to post this is the math forums, if you can remove this I'm going to switch it over

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve:

In = [tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} x^n e^{-\lambda x^2} dx [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So my teacher gave a few hints regarding this. She first said to evaluate when n = 0, then consider the cases when n = even and n = odd, comparing the even cases to the p-th derivative of Io.

For the Io case, I evaluated it and obtained [tex] I_o = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\lambda}} [/tex]

Now, for the "p-th" derivative of Io, i got

[tex] \frac{d^p}{d \lambda^2} I_o = \frac{\prod_{p=1}^p (1 - 2p)}{2^{p+1}} \sqrt{\pi} \lambda^{-\frac{(2p + 1)}{2}} [/tex]

I don't see how this related to n = 2p (even case) where

I2p = [tex] \int_0^\infty x^{2p} e^{- \lambda x^2} dx [/tex]

And even when I do figure this out, does this all combine into one answer, or is it kind of like a piecewise answer?

Any help with what to do with the even/odd cases would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2009 #2
    Hello, I will give some hints here, and probably I will rearrange this quick reply in 24 hours.

\int_0^\infty e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}

\int_0^\infty x e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{1}{2a}

\int_0^\infty x^n e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{(n-1)!}{2(2a)^{n/2}} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}

\int_0^\infty x^{2n+1} e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{n!}{2 a^{n+1}}

\int_0^\infty x^{2n} e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{(2n-1)!}{2^{2n+1} a^n} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook