Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian integral .

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    can some one tell me how to go about solving the gaussian integral
    e^(-x^2) I know it has no elementary integral . but i was told the improper integral from -inf to positive inf can be solved and some said that i haft to do it complex numbers or something and help would be great , this is not a homework question.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]\int_{- \infty} ^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx = 2 \int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

Write I as ∫e-x2 dx

If you change the variable x for y and then multiply the two I's you will get

[tex]I^2 = (\int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx)(\int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-y^2} dy)[/tex]

this is the same as

[tex]I^2= \int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-x^2-y^2}dxdy[/tex]

Convert to polar coordinates now.

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

Why don't you search by yourself before asking?

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

The Gaussian integral is not one that you can do with contour integrals (complex numbers)*. Typically to evaluate it you consider

[tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~e^{-x^2};[/tex]
    then,

[tex]I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~e^{-x^2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dy~e^{-y^2} = \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta \int_{0}^\infty dr r e^{-r^2}[/tex]
    and evaluating.

An intro calculus textbook should treat this example more carefully and rigorously than I've written (identifying [itex](x,y) \in (-\infty,\infty) \mbox{U} (-\infty,\infty)[/itex] with [itex](r,\theta) \in [0,\infty) \mbox{U} [0,2\pi)[/itex] technically takes some care to do).

*I once read an account of how one could derive the result using a contour integral, but it was not at all a simple (or obvious) integrand that one needed to use in order to get the result.

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5
    Thanks for your answers

7. Feb 26, 2010 #6
    Why when i convert the integral to polar form, do the intervals become [itex](r,\theta) \in [0,\infty) \mbox{U} [0,2\pi)[/itex]. Do you prove to me?Thanks.

8. Feb 26, 2010 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are integrating over "all space", then r and θ must take on all possible values. Hence those integration limits, 0≤r<∞ and 0≤θ≤2π

9. Feb 26, 2010 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

10. Feb 27, 2010 #9
    Another way to do this is to consider the integral of sin^n(x) or cos^n(x) and use that to derive Stirling's approximation by first deriving the Wallis product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallis_product

Since the asymptotics of n! can also be obtained directly from its integral representation and then using the saddle point method, this yields a derivation of the Gaussian integral.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook