1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian integral

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    How to show that the variance of the gaussian distribution using the probability function? I don't know how to solve for ∫r^2 Exp(-2r^2/2c^2) dr .

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use integration by parts and a substitution. It's really closely related to the integral of Exp(r^2).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    I tried it. The probability function is 1/(sqrt(2Pi c^2)) * Exp[-r^2/2c] When integrate it from -infinity to infinity, the Exp[r^2] makes everything 0. But we are trying to proof that it's equal to c.

5. Oct 25, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely not: the integral of exp(-x^2) for x going from - infinity to + infinity is a finite, positive value (it is the area under the curve of the graph y = exp(-x^2)); furthermore, this integral can be found everywhere in books and web pages; I will let you find it.

Anyway, you need to find an integral of the form int_{x=-inf..inf} x^2*exp(-x^2) dx, which is obtained from yours by an appropriate change of variables, etc. Integrate by parts, setting u = x and dv = x*exp(-x^2) dx.

RGV

6. Oct 25, 2011 #5
    thx!!:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook