1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Integral

1. Aug 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm encountering these integrals a lot lately, and I can solve them because I know the "trick" but I'd like to know actually how the cartesian to polar conversion works:
    ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} = I##
    ##I^2=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2}dy##
    ##=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-r^2}r dr dθ = π##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, if I look at ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}##, it's easy to see that ##dr=(1/r)(x dx+y dy)##
    Which leads me to believe that ##dθ=(x dx+y dy)## ... ???

If ##θ=ArcTan(y/x)##, then how does ##dθ=(x dx+y dy)##?

Say ##y=Tan(θ)x##, then taking ##dy## and simplifying, I can get:
    ##x dy - y dx=(x^2+y^2) dθ##

So unless ##x/(x^2+y^2) = y## and ##y/(x^2+y^2) = -x##, I am at a loss... :(

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

4. Aug 25, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We can write
    [tex] I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2}dy = \int_{R^2} e^{-x^2-y^2} \, dA, [/tex]
    where ##dA = dx dy## is the two-dimensional "area element". When we switch to polar coordinates, the area element becomes ##dA = r \, dr \, d\theta##. Basically, we have ## I^2 \approx \sum_i \Delta A_i e^{-r^2_i} ##, where the ##\Delta A_1, \Delta A_2, \ldots ## are finite but small areas of little regions and the ##r_i## are the ##\sqrt{x_i^2 + y_i^2}## values at some point ##(x_i,y_i)## inside the regions ##i = 1,2, \ldots##. We can either take the little regions to be rectangular, with horizontal and vertical sides ##\Delta x_i## and ##\Delta y_i##, or else we can take them to be slices of radial wedges with sides along radial lines at angles ##\theta_i## and ##\theta_i + \Delta \theta_i## and inner-outer radii at ##r_i## and ##r_i + \Delta r_i##. In rectangular coordinates the area element is ##\Delta A_i = \Delta x_i \, \Delta y_i##, while in polar coordinates it is ##\Delta A_i = r_i \, \Delta r_i \, \Delta \theta_i##.

All this was supposed to have been covered thoroughly in Calculus II, where things such as Jacobians and the like were introduced and motivated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted