Gaussian Integral: Converting from Cartesian to Polar

In summary, the conversion from Cartesian to polar coordinates is done by replacing the rectangular area element ##\Delta A_i = \Delta x_i \Delta y_i## with the polar area element ##\Delta A_i = r_i \Delta r_i \Delta \theta_i ##.
Adoniram

Homework Statement

I'm encountering these integrals a lot lately, and I can solve them because I know the "trick" but I'd like to know actually how the cartesian to polar conversion works:
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx##

Homework Equations

##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} = I##
##I^2=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2}dy##
##=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-r^2}r dr dθ = π##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if I look at ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}##, it's easy to see that ##dr=(1/r)(x dx+y dy)##
Which leads me to believe that ##dθ=(x dx+y dy)## ... ?

If ##θ=ArcTan(y/x)##, then how does ##dθ=(x dx+y dy)##?

Say ##y=Tan(θ)x##, then taking ##dy## and simplifying, I can get:
##x dy - y dx=(x^2+y^2) dθ##

So unless ##x/(x^2+y^2) = y## and ##y/(x^2+y^2) = -x##, I am at a loss... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Adoniram said:

Homework Statement

I'm encountering these integrals a lot lately, and I can solve them because I know the "trick" but I'd like to know actually how the cartesian to polar conversion works:
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx##

Homework Equations

##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} = I##
##I^2=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2}dy##
##=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-r^2}r dr dθ = π##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if I look at ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}##, it's easy to see that ##dr=(1/r)(x dx+y dy)##
Which leads me to believe that ##dθ=(x dx+y dy)## ... ?

If ##θ=ArcTan(y/x)##, then how does ##dθ=(x dx+y dy)##?

Say ##y=Tan(θ)x##, then taking ##dy## and simplifying, I can get:
##x dy - y dx=(x^2+y^2) dθ##

So unless ##x/(x^2+y^2) = y## and ##y/(x^2+y^2) = -x##, I am at a loss... :(

We can write
[tex] I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2}dy = \int_{R^2} e^{-x^2-y^2} \, dA, [/tex]
where ##dA = dx dy## is the two-dimensional "area element". When we switch to polar coordinates, the area element becomes ##dA = r \, dr \, d\theta##. Basically, we have ## I^2 \approx \sum_i \Delta A_i e^{-r^2_i} ##, where the ##\Delta A_1, \Delta A_2, \ldots ## are finite but small areas of little regions and the ##r_i## are the ##\sqrt{x_i^2 + y_i^2}## values at some point ##(x_i,y_i)## inside the regions ##i = 1,2, \ldots##. We can either take the little regions to be rectangular, with horizontal and vertical sides ##\Delta x_i## and ##\Delta y_i##, or else we can take them to be slices of radial wedges with sides along radial lines at angles ##\theta_i## and ##\theta_i + \Delta \theta_i## and inner-outer radii at ##r_i## and ##r_i + \Delta r_i##. In rectangular coordinates the area element is ##\Delta A_i = \Delta x_i \, \Delta y_i##, while in polar coordinates it is ##\Delta A_i = r_i \, \Delta r_i \, \Delta \theta_i##.

All this was supposed to have been covered thoroughly in Calculus II, where things such as Jacobians and the like were introduced and motivated.

Likes RUber

1. What is the Gaussian Integral?

The Gaussian Integral is a mathematical formula used to calculate the area under a Gaussian curve, also known as a bell curve. It is a fundamental concept in statistics and has many applications in science and engineering.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates, you can use the following equations: x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ. Here, r represents the distance from the origin to the point, and θ represents the angle between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin.

3. What is the purpose of converting from Cartesian to Polar coordinates in a Gaussian Integral?

Converting from Cartesian to Polar coordinates allows us to express the Gaussian Integral in a simpler form, making it easier to solve. It also helps us to visualize the problem in a different way and gain a better understanding of the underlying concepts.

4. Can the Gaussian Integral be solved without converting to Polar coordinates?

Yes, the Gaussian Integral can be solved without converting to Polar coordinates. However, converting to Polar coordinates often makes the calculation simpler and more intuitive, especially in cases where the boundaries of integration are circular or have rotational symmetry.

5. Are there any limitations to converting from Cartesian to Polar coordinates in a Gaussian Integral?

One limitation of converting from Cartesian to Polar coordinates in a Gaussian Integral is that it can only be done for problems with circular or rotational symmetry. In cases where the boundaries of integration are not symmetric, other methods may need to be used to solve the integral.