1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gaussian Laser Beam

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 655nm gaussian laser beam has a waist of 15mm located at a lens with focal length of 12 cm. What is the minimum beam waist and where is it located?

2. Relevant equations
    Beam radius w = w0*sqrt(1-(z/zr)^2)
    w0 = min beam waist; z = distance, zr = Rayleigh range

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm attempting to find the distance from where w0 is located to the focal point, so I'd be able to calculate the distance R1 to the lens. Then perhaps calculate R2 from (1/R1)-(1/R2)=(1/f), where I assume the minimum w0 is located. Problem is I have no idea how to find this initial distance along the wave front of the beam.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like the beam is collimated at the lens, so the source distance would be at infinity.

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    It looks like you Rayleigh range is much larger than the focal length of the lens. In this case, your focused spot size will be given by f \lambda/(\pi w_i), where w_i is the initial waist size. You should find the derivation in any book on lasers (e.g. Yariv or Siegman)

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's weird, I have calculated a much shorter Rayleigh range.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook