Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian packet, very large countable set, throwaway half, still good Gaussian?

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    Say we do physics in a very large box of side L. Using the proper superposition of a countable number of momentum eigen states can we write down the wave function of a localized high energy particle in a box?

If so, assume the number of superposed momentum states is N. Now randomly throw away half the N momentum states. Is the resultant superposition still nearly a localized high energy particle? How much can be thrown away, if any, and still have a pretty good Gaussian? If I have a superposition of a trillion momentum eigen states and I throw away one what harm did I do?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are eigenstates of energy - not momentum.

But by means of a Fourier transform you can go to the momentum representation - but you have just changed the representation - not the fact you have countable eigenstates:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box

If you throw away any - one - a million - it doesn't matter - its not the correct solution. Practically - well that depends on the situation.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook