Calculate $\hbar \ln$ Gaussian Path Integral w/Einstein Summation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Einstein summation convention in a calculation involving the expression for \hbar and the integral over x_i. The answer involves the use of a logarithm and a Fourier transform involving the delta function \delta^3(r-r'). The conversation also touches on the role of s and r in the calculation and the possibility of a mistake in the original equation.
MadMax
Einstein summation convention employed throughout

We want to calculate

[tex]\hbar \ln \int D x_i \exp[\frac{1}{32 \pi^3} \int ds \int d^3 r x_i(-is,r) M_{ij}(s,r) x_j(is,r)][/tex]

The answer is

[tex]\hbar \int \frac{ds}{2\pi} \ln \det[M_{ij}\delta^3(r-r')][/tex]

I know that

[tex]\int d^3 x_i e^{\frac{1}{2}x_i B_{ij} x_j} = \sqrt{\frac{(2\pi)^n}{\det B_{ij}}}[/tex]

and that standard logarithmic properties will be used. Also the [tex]\delta^3(r-r')[/tex] means that a Fourier transform involving that delta function will be employed at some point.

Beyond that I'm at a complete loss as to how to continue. One question is why we don't need to employ a Fourier transform involving a [tex]\delta(s-s')][/tex]. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was hoping someone else would tackle this one, but here goes ...

The answer doesn't make sense to me. I don't see why s should be fundamentally different than r. I think you should have a [tex]\delta(s+s')[/tex], with + rather than - because the arguments have opposite sign, and that there should be no integral over s.

But perhaps there is something about the definition of x(is,r) that you haven't told us that would change this ...

Thanks.

What kind of things might make s different to r in that way?

Perhaps these? "is" is wick rotated frequency; and started out as the Fourier transform of time. r is real space. r is a vector and s is a scalar.

Last edited:
MadMax said:
What kind of things might make s different to r in that way?
Perhaps these? "is" is wick rotated frequency; and started out as the Fourier transform of time. r is real space. r is a vector and s is a scalar.

No, none of that should matter.

Is this from a book? If so, which one?

He's just being sloppy. His eq.(1) is wrong, and should be what I said. Then he trades log det for Tr log, and the integral over zeta in eq.(3) is part of the trace, just like the integrals over r.

Ahh brilliant. Thanks again. :)

1. What is a Gaussian Path Integral?

A Gaussian Path Integral is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory and statistical mechanics to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one point to another in a given time. It is based on the concept of a particle taking all possible paths between two points and assigning a weight to each path based on its action.

2. How is the Gaussian Path Integral calculated?

The Gaussian Path Integral is calculated using the Feynman path integral formalism, which involves summing over all possible paths of a particle and taking into account the weight of each path. This is represented by the Gaussian integral, which is then multiplied by the exponential of the action of the particle along each path.

3. What is the significance of $\hbar$ in the Gaussian Path Integral?

The $\hbar$ in the Gaussian Path Integral represents the reduced Planck's constant and is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics. It determines the scale at which quantum effects become important and is used to convert between classical and quantum mechanical units in the calculation of the Gaussian Path Integral.

4. What is the role of Einstein summation in the Gaussian Path Integral?

Einstein summation notation is used in the Gaussian Path Integral to simplify the calculation by representing the summation of terms in a concise and efficient manner. It allows for the compact representation of mathematical expressions involving multiple indices and is especially useful in calculations involving tensors.

5. How is the Gaussian Path Integral used in scientific research?

The Gaussian Path Integral is used in a variety of fields in physics, such as quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and statistical mechanics. It is a powerful tool for calculating the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level and has been applied to various phenomena, such as phase transitions, quantum tunneling, and particle interactions.