1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian PDF

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The exam grades in a certain class have a Gaussian PDF with mean m and standard deviation [tex]\sigma[/tex]. Find the constants a and b so that the random variable y=aX+b has a Gaussian PDF with mead m' and standard deviation [tex]\sigma[/tex]'.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really do not know where to go from here, i need a heads-up.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Is [tex] aX + b [/tex] to have a different mean but same standard deviation? I'm not entirely clear from your post.

You do know that if [tex] X [/tex] is Gaussian then [tex] aX + b [/tex] is also Guassian for any choices of [tex] a \ne 0 \text{ and real }b [/tex], right, so you don't need to show that part.

If [tex] \mu_1 [/tex] is supposed to be the new mean, then

E(aX+b) = aE(X) + b = \mu_1

The other condition requires you to work with the variances: If the standard deviation doesn't change then you know that

Var(aX+b) = \sigma^2

Simplifying and working with these equations will let you find appropriate values for [tex] a, b [/tex]. Play with them.
  4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    no the new deviation is [tex]\sigma'[/tex]
  5. Nov 3, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "the new standard deviation is [tex] \sigma' [/tex]

Is it simply that

\sigma' = \sqrt{Var(aX+b)}
  6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    that relationship, i know. the m' goes with [tex]\sigma'[/tex].
    Hope u understand what the question says now. It seems a little confusing but thats the exact way the textbook put it. Thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?