1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Problem

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin cylindrical shell of radius R1 = 5.0 cm is surrounded by a second cylindrical shell of radius R2 = 9.0 cm, as in the figure. Both cylinders are 5.8 m long and the inner one carries a total charge of Q1 = +4.2 µC and the outer one carries a total charge of Q2 = -2.4 µC. (Assume the positive direction is away from the axis.)

a) r = 1.5 cm
    N/C

(b) r = 5.5 cm
    N/C

(c) r = 11.5 cm
    N/C

2. Relevant equations

E *Da = Qenclosed/Epsilon

point charge = 1/4pi epsilon * Q/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

a) radius is smaller than the radius of the first shell, so it's EF = 0
    b) i've tried using E = Q / 4pi *epsilon *r^2, but i keep getting the wrong answer = 12.4e6 N/C
    c) I think I should add the charges together (-2.4 + 4.2 = 2uC) and use the above equation, but I am at a loss.

I keep trying to find the answers to these last 2, but can't seem to get it right.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    do you need to find the E-field at the given r's, at the midplane of the cylinders?

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    "For points far from the ends of the cylinders, determine the electric field at the following radial distances from the central axis."

yes sorry forgot to include that!!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook