1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian sphere problem

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem states that you have a spherical shell with inner radius Ri=1 cm and outer radius R0=2 cm. The shell also has uniform charge density of ρ=10-3 N/m3. I found the first few answers of the question already. First was to get the charge of the shell, which is simply ρVshell, or Q=ρ(4∏/3)(R03-Ri3). This ends up being 2.93(10-8)C.
    Next I found that the electric field magnitude everywhere inside the shell could be expressed in terms of r by just setting EA=ρ(4∏/3)(r3-Ri3)/ε0, where the 4∏ cancels. the answer ends up being ((1/3)ρ/ε0)(r-(Ri3/r2), or 3.76(107) N/Cm.
    Now the part I'm having trouble with is finding an equation in terms of r for the electric field magnitude outside of the spherical shell.

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's Law. Surface area and volume of a sphere.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using Gauss's law in a similar way to the last part of the problem by having EA=Q/ε0, but I don't understand how you are supposed to solve for this if you don't know what the uniform charge density is outside of the shell. I don't feel like using that same value would make sense. Could somebody explain this to me?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How did you get that? There should not be a field inside an empty uniformly charged spherical shell.

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    I said that is the E field inside the shell, as in like in the volume of the shell. Thats why I used the gaussian radius as arbitrary r minus the inner radius of the sphere.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK - that's often a tricky distinction to make verbally.
    The field outside a uniformly charged spherical shell happens to be exactly as though all the charge were concentrated at the sphere's centre.
    Can you explain that some more? What same value?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted