1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian surface question

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    What is the electric field inside a cylindrical Gaussian surface in terms of volume charge density?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What is the charge configuration ie. how are the charges distributed? Or are you referring to [tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{D} = p_V[/tex]?
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    I'm not familiar with that notation (the upside down triangle). I was given volume charge density and needed to find the electric field inside an infinitly long cylinder. I know rho (vol. charge density) = Q/V but don't know what to use for the volume, since it's infinite.
  5. Sep 25, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Okay, then in that case just ignore the notation above. Now, exploit symmetry here. Do this by considering a cylindrical Gaussian surface in the cylinder with the same geometrical axis. How do you find the flux through the closed surface and hence the field? Never mind if it's infinite. That is just a hint to ignore some parts of the Gaussian surface.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?