1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian theorem question

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the one-dimensional field A = Kx * ax exists in a region. Illustrate the validity of the Gaussian theorem by evaluating its volume and surface integrals inside and on the rectangular parallelepiped bounded by the surfaces: x=1,x=4,y=2,y=-2,z=0 and z=3, for a given A.

Untitled.png

2. Relevant equations

(Right) [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdz ay + (left) [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdz -(ay) + (top) [itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdy az + (bottom) [itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdy -(az) + (front) [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex]dydz (ax) + (back) [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex]dydz -(ax)

Direction on the left is applied to the integral on its right.
    3. The attempt at a solution

For the Right side
    [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdz ay
    My answer to this integral is 45/2

For the left side
    [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdz -(ay)
    My answer to this integral is -45/2

For the top side
    [itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdy az
    My answer is 30

For the bottom
    [itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex][itex]\int_1^4x[/itex]dxdy -(az)

For the front
    [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex]dydz (ax)

For the back
    [itex]\int_0^3[/itex][itex]\int_{-2}^2[/itex]dydz -(ax)

When I add these up, I get zero... however, when I use the divergence theorem I get 36.

This answer is suppose to equal the answer I get via the divergence theorem formula. I'm confused :(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are only 2 sides that "see" the field A head-on. Mathematically, there are only two sides for which ∫A*ds ≠ 0 where ds is a vector element of area on any side. Which sides are those?

Now integrate A over those two sides, remembering that the dot-product A*ds will be positive for one side and negative for the other. In other words, the normal to any closed surface always points out of the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook