Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian wave packets

1. Oct 18, 2008 #1
    If you imagine a string, the first part of the string (that the gaussian looking wave peak is moving along) has thicker mass density than the latter part of the string. (so it's essentially a thick bit of string going on to a thinner bit).
    What would happen when the wavepacket reaches the latter section? I think you will get an upright reflected wavepacket and also an upright transmitted wavepacket, is this correct?
    (the reason I think this is because I'm thinking it's like the wavefunction of a free particle, colliding with a stationary particle of lower mass, so it's analogous to an elastic collision?)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yes. If the packet goes enters from the other direction, and goes from the "light" string to the "heavy" string, the reflected packet is inverted. I've done this as a demonstration in intro physics classes.

You have something similar in optics. Light reflecting off a air-to-glass boundary (from outside the glass) is phase shifted by half a cycle, but not when reflecting off a glass-to-air boundary (from inside the glass). Here what matters is whether the index of refraction increases or decreases as you go across the boundary.

4. Oct 18, 2008 #3
    thanks, I like the optics comparison, shall help me remember the order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?