1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Wavepackets

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    I'm starting a project on Gaussian Wavepackets, and the evolution of the Uncertainty principle with time, however after the summer I'm a bit rusty :s, so I have a few questions, if anyone could help that would be great.

Ok, first of all I see (and largely understand) that delta-x delta-p > h-bar/2, but I would like to know how delta-x = RMS(x)? It's probably basic but I need good foundations....

Also, what is the general equation for a gaussian wavepacket?

Any help would be great, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    delta-x = RMS(x) is the definition of delta-x. What else is there to understand? Theres no physical meaning to the relation, its just what delta-x is defined as.

as for the general equation of the gaussian wavepacket, I believe it is just the free particle wave function multiplied by a gaussian function.

4. Oct 9, 2008 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Try a Google search for Gaussian wave packet. :smile:

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4
    Yea I was going to say that, except I actually tried doing that search and I just could not find a general equation for the gaussian wave packet.

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The very first hit that I see has a rather detailed discussion of Gaussian wave packets, including the derivation of an explicit form of the initial wave function for one.

A full, explicit, time-dependent wave function that contains the spreading is another matter. I know it's in at least one textbook, Morrison's "Understanding Quantum Physics." The link above doesn't have that, but it does have an equation for the width of the packet as a function of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?