1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussina Elimination Help Needed

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x+2y+6z=4
    -3x+2y-z=-4
    4x+2z=16

2. Relevant equations
    I am having trouble solving this equation since i was absent for notes
    I would appreciate an attempt to explain the process to me.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the basics but if some one could show me step by step mabey i will get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2
    I think i got it now but if you got tips please share

4. Jan 25, 2007 #3
    If we're not doing this using Matrix algebra, then we usually want to try and reduce our system to one of fewer variables. This is most easily done by expressing one variable in terms of others and then substituting.

You'll notice that your third line has only two variables in it, making it an excellent candidate for substitution since there is a one-to-one linear dependency between the two variables. We can isolate a single variable (say z) giving

z=8-2x

then substitute this into the first and second equations. After doing this, we will have reduced our system to one of two variable, and two equations. From here we can either repeat the process above to get a solution in terms of a single variable, or other similar method of solving 2x2 systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?