Gauss's (hard to understand) Law

• Thread starter physics noob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the problem being discussed is about a point charge Q at the center of an uncharged thin spherical conducting shell. The electric field E, as a function of r, is being asked for at various points: r less than the inner radius of the shell, inside the shell, and beyond the shell. It is compared to a figure of a washer with a thickness, like the rings of Saturn. The first part is solved using Gauss's Law to find E as Qk/R^2, using the surface area of a sphere for area. The second part is discussed with the understanding that the electric field continues as if the shell doesn't exist, with positive and negative charges accumulating on the inner and outer surfaces respectively. The third part
physics noob
ok here the problem I am having...
a point charge Q rests at the center of an uncharged thin spherical condcting shell. with is the the electric field E, as a function of r...then it asks for r less than the inner radius of the shell... then it asks for inside the shell, and finally beyond the shell.

now how I am invisioning the figure is almost like a washer, with a thickness, like the rings of saturn...

so for the first part i need to find E as a function of r...so i thinks to myself... E0 (constant) = 1/ (4(k)(pi)) and gauss's law states
flux = EA flux also = q/E0 so EA = q/ Eo after a little algebra
i get E= Qk/ R^2 using SA of a sphere for area... ok so I am pretty sure that's right for the first question...if not please tell me where i went wrong...next part asking for r less than inner radius of shell?
i have no idea what to put...one thing i do understand is that when there is a charge in a shell, the electric field continues as if there was no shell present, by this i mean if Q is positive , negative charges accumulate on inner shell circumference, and positive accumlate on SA of total spherical shell... this is all kind of new to me, and i don't think i have a great grasp on all of this,,,,,,also a coule off topic questions...what is the diff,,,between q (test charge) and Q////// as always thanks a million for any help/ information.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that the second part is asking you what is the electric field less than the outer surface of the shell but more than the inner surface of the shell, i.e. what is the electric charge inside the conducting shell.

Your right, outside of the whole shell, you will not see the shell because it will not insulate the charge, so it will be like the shell didn't exist.

And also inside of the shell, it will be like the shell doesn't exist because the charge doesn't need to move through the shell to get from the charge to the point where you are testing.

Hope this helps,

~Lyuokdea

yes, it does,,, so i guess i would just describe what the electric field does,,, i think I am getting confused because of the lack of numbers, i guess i just explain what's happening. thanks

You are asked to calculate E(r), when :

(i) r < R(in)

(ii) R(in) < r < R(out)

(iii) r > R(out)

In the first and third cases, the total enclosed charge is Q. So, you can find the fields from Gauss' Law, and they will have the same form. But this is not so in the second case. The charge enclosed here will be different because of the induced charges on the inner surface of the shell. So, find the new value of the enclosed charge, and again calculate the field from GL.

Is the result you get for (ii) surprising, or expected ?

so would Q=0 inside the shell since all charges are found on the surface of conductors? thanks everyone for the help

physics noob said:
so would Q=0 inside the shell since all charges are found on the surface of conductors? thanks everyone for the help
I think you are talking about the total charge Q within a spherical Gaussian surface that is inside the material of the shell. If so, since the electric field is zero within the conducting shell, the total charge Q contained in that Gaussian sphere is zero.

Doc Al said:
I think you are talking about the total charge Q within a spherical Gaussian surface that is inside the material of the shell. If so, since the electric field is zero within the conducting shell, the total charge Q contained in that Gaussian sphere is zero.
In this case, though, I think you want to reason the other way round. You are asked to find the field on this Gaussian surface, so you must determine the charge enclosed. First there's +Q at the origin, and then there's -Q distributed on the inside of the shell. So the total enclosed charge is zero, and hence, the field within the material of the shell is zero (as expected, since the field inside the body of a conductor must be zero).

Gokul43201 said:
In this case, though, I think you want to reason the other way round. You are asked to find the field on this Gaussian surface, so you must determine the charge enclosed. First there's +Q at the origin, and then there's -Q distributed on the inside of the shell. So the total enclosed charge is zero, and hence, the field within the material of the shell is zero (as expected, since the field inside the body of a conductor must be zero).
OK, but how do you know that there's -Q distributed on the inside of the shell? (You need to start with some knowledge; I usually make use of the fact that the field must be zero within the conductor.)

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charges and the electric field. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed electric charge.

2. Why is Gauss's Law hard to understand?

Gauss's Law can be difficult to understand because it involves mathematical concepts such as electric flux and closed surfaces, which may be unfamiliar to some people. It also requires a solid understanding of vector calculus to fully comprehend.

3. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector. It is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m2).

4. How is Gauss's Law used in practical applications?

Gauss's Law is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as analyzing the electric field around a charged object, calculating the electric potential at a point, and determining the charge distribution on a conductor. It is also used in the design of electrical circuits and devices.

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied to all situations?

No, Gauss's Law is only applicable to situations where the electric field is constant and the charge distribution is symmetric. In more complex situations, other laws and equations must be used to analyze the electric field and its effects.