Gauss's Law and Flux: True or False?

In summary, the conversation involves questions from a book for an upcoming test. The first question is about the net flux through a closed surface surrounding a dipole, which is determined to be false based on Gauss's Law. The second question is about the presence of charge within a closed surface with zero net flux, which is determined to be true. The conversation also includes a question about whether equipotential lines are vectors, which is determined to be false based on their lack of direction.
Bradracer18
Ok guys, these are just questions from our book(like critical thinking type)...she said to be able to understand these, for the upcoming test. I'm not sure I fully understand them(if at all).

1. If a closed surface surrounds a dipole, the net flux through the surface is zero. True or False?

2. If the net flux through a closed surface is zero, then there can be no charge or charges within that surface. True or False?

I think the equation to find flux is Gauss's Law, which says E=Q(enclosed)/E(knot). With Q being a negative number(dipole), then I'd say the flux can't be zero.

Along with what I just said, then if Q=0, then there can not be any flux within that surface...right?

Thanks guys!
Brad

Oh, one more question. Are Equipotential lines vectors? I'm thinking they are, but need to know to figure a question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bradracer18 said:
With Q being a negative number(dipole), then I'd say the flux can't be zero.
What makes you think Q (total charge?) is negative for a dipole?

Well I'm not sure, I guess that is just what I thought. I don't really understand the whole dipole thing(even in chemistry I struggled). Isn't it a negative charge, that will go towards a postive charge? Or, how do I figure Q for the dipole?

An electric dipole consists of two opposite charges with a separation between them; the net charge is zero.

So then with that information, I'd say that Q=0, thus the flux is 0. So, it is true.

For the second one, if a dipole is considered a charge...then I'd say it is false.

Also Doc Al...can you help me with the vector question, so I can start working on it...are those equipotential lines vectors? I can't find it anywhere in my book that says they are(which might mean they aren't), but I was thinking they were for some reason.

Thank you again!

Bradracer18 said:
So then with that information, I'd say that Q=0, thus the flux is 0. So, it is true.

For the second one, if a dipole is considered a charge...then I'd say it is false.
Both correct.

...can you help me with the vector question, so I can start working on it...are those equipotential lines vectors?
Hint: Does an equipotential line (surface, actually) have a direction?

No I don't think they do actually have a direction, as far as I know. They aren't like field lines which go from + to -. I think basically they just run perpendicular to field lines, in no general direction. So, no they aren't vectors then.

You are correct.

Thanks a lot Doc...I appreciate every bit of it!

1. What is Gauss's Law and how does it relate to electric flux?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. In other words, it states that the total electric flux out of a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. Is Gauss's Law always true?

Yes, Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetics and is always true. It has been rigorously tested and has been found to hold true in all cases.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used to calculate the electric field for any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to calculate the electric field for any charge distribution as long as the symmetry of the charge distribution allows for the use of a closed surface. This is because Gauss's Law is based on the concept of electric flux, which is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface.

4. Is the electric flux through a closed surface always equal to zero?

No, the electric flux through a closed surface is not always equal to zero. It is only equal to zero when there is no net charge enclosed by the surface. If there is a net charge enclosed, then the electric flux will be non-zero.

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied to magnetic fields as well?

No, Gauss's Law only applies to electric fields. There is a similar law for magnetic fields, known as Gauss's Law for magnetism, but it is a separate law and cannot be used interchangeably with Gauss's Law for electric fields.