1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law and Flux

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Gauss's Law and Flux

ok so i have the biggest question of all i tried solving the following problem:

55.3 million excess electrons are inside a closed surface. What is the net electric flux through the surface?

now i tried the following equations:

[tex]\Phi[/tex]= E . A = Qin/[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

but i have the biggest question when there is excess electron does it mean that the electron field is negative, and if it does then that goes in Qin where then [tex]\Phi[/tex] would be equal to Qin/[tex]\epsilon[/tex], and epsilon being 8.85*10 (permittivity constant)

well any help in solving this problem is very grateful
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2
    You can solve for the enclosed charge, since the elementary charge of an electron (-1.60*10^-19 C) and the number of electrons is known. Just use Q/epsilon to solve for flux.
  4. Feb 8, 2008 #3
    oh wow that was easy, i always see things harder then they are, thanks terbum
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?