1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's law and vectors

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
    I'm encountering a problem with a practice test and previous homework problem in my electrostatics class.

Charges exist at three corners of a square as shown. Edge length = L. What is the Electric Field Strength (E) at the corner with no charge.

-3q
    O------------O +2q
    |
    |
    |
    |
    O-------------
    +2q

so i break it into vectors using E= (k q)/(r^2) (Form of gauss) But i dont know what the final answer should look like...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember, the electric field is a vector - it has magnitude and direction!

4. Sep 12, 2004 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using symmetry of this problem,
    you should be able to determine the direction,
    and [almost by inspection] write down the algebraic answer.

Hint: if you can determine the direction (using symmetry), it is advantageous to use a coordinate system that has an axis along this direction [instead of the standard x- and y- axes]. The only components you'll need to consider are those along this axis.

5. Sep 12, 2004 #4
    Right a vector. So i would come out with an answer in unit vector form...like....

(x-component)i+(y-component)j. Or is there a simpiler way to write it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?