Gauss's Law conductor Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an initially neutral conductor with a hollow cavity containing a +100nC point charge. A rod then transfers -50nC to the conductor. The question is about the charge on the inner wall of the cavity and the exterior surface of the conductor. The student is struggling to understand the solution and is looking for an explanation to clarify their understanding. There is no attempt at a solution provided by the student.
JimiJams

Homework Statement

An initially neutral conductor contains a hollow cavity in which there is a +100nC point charge. A charged rod transfers -50nC to the conductor. Afterward, what is the charge (a) on the inner wall of the cavity wall, and (b) on the exterior surface of the conductor?

Homework Equations

This is more of a conceptual problem for me than mathematical. The answers just don't make sense to me. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the answer and then I can ask followup questions if it still isn't making sense. Thanks a lot!

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to approach this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me state, too, that I'm not just being lazy here and just looking for the answer. We don't turn in any homework in our class, it's completely optional. I'm just trying to understand this problem and the best way for me to do it is for someone to explain it (since I have no clue about this one) and then I'll ask questions to make sure it's clear to me.

Hi JimiJams! :smile:

Tell us what you think the answers are, and what's worrying you about that, and then we'll comment. :wink:

1. What is Gauss's Law conductor problem?

Gauss's Law conductor problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the electric field and charge distribution on the surface and inside a conductor. It is based on Gauss's Law, which states that the net electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How do you solve Gauss's Law conductor problem?

To solve Gauss's Law conductor problem, you first need to determine the charge distribution on the surface and inside the conductor. This can be done by considering the symmetry of the conductor and using Gauss's Law equation. Then, you can use the electric field formula, which relates the electric field to the charge distribution and permittivity of free space, to calculate the electric field at any point inside or outside the conductor.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used to solve problems with non-uniform charge distributions?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to solve problems with non-uniform charge distributions. In these cases, the charge distribution needs to be divided into small elements, and the electric field at each element is calculated separately. Then, the electric field contributions from all the elements are added together to find the total electric field at a given point.

4. What is the difference between a conductor and an insulator in Gauss's Law conductor problem?

In Gauss's Law conductor problem, a conductor is a material that allows the free movement of electrons, while an insulator is a material that does not allow the free movement of electrons. In a conductor, the charge distribution is mainly on the surface, while in an insulator, the charge distribution is mainly inside the material.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss's Law conductor problem?

Gauss's Law conductor problem has many real-life applications, such as in the design of capacitors, transmission lines, and electronic circuits. It is also used to analyze the behavior of lightning strikes and to study the electric fields in the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, it is used in the development of new materials for electronic devices and in the study of electrostatic discharge in industrial processes.