How Does Gauss's Law Explain Zero Charge in Hollow Surfaces?

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding when the charge inside a surface is zero. The person is struggling to find an explanation in their textbook and is confused by the assumption that there is no charge inside a hollow shell. They also question how the electric field can exist in surfaces with no charge. The response suggests that in a conductor, the free charge will be on the surface and the statement about the electric field existing everywhere means that it is continuous without any jumps.
Wet Socks
Hi. My question is straightforward: how do I know when the charge inside a surface is zero?

I've read my textbook chapter twice, but it doesn't offer any explanation on this. In one example problem with a hollow shell, it simply makes the automatic assumption that "there's no charge inside the hollow shell and therefore none inside the guassian surface." I'm baffled as to how they arrived at that conclusion. Am I to assume that anytime a surface has a hollow/empty space in it, the enclosed charge equals zero?

Worse yet, my textbook appears to contradict itself: it states that "the electric field exists at every point in space." But if in some surfaces there's no charge (like the hollow shell), how can the electric field exist!?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated, especially if it's dumbed down. I feel like this is an elementary concept, but I'm struggling to understand it. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
In a conductor the free charge will be on the surface. And when say that the E field is every where in space, my guess is that they mean its like a continuous fluid and there are no jumps in it.

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is Gauss's Law used in calculating electric fields?

Gauss's Law can be used to calculate the electric field at a point due to a collection of charges. By using a Gaussian surface that encloses the charges, the electric flux through that surface can be calculated. Then, by applying Gauss's Law, the electric field at the point of interest can be determined.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charges. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is commonly represented by electric field lines.

4. How does the direction of the electric field relate to the charge of the particles?

The direction of the electric field at a point is determined by the charge of the particles that create the field. Positive charges create an electric field that points away from them, while negative charges create an electric field that points towards them. The direction of the electric field can also be determined by the direction a positive test charge would move in the presence of the field.

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied to all types of surfaces?

No, Gauss's Law can only be applied to closed surfaces. This means that the surface must completely enclose a volume and have no holes or openings. It is also important that the surface is a smooth and continuous surface, without any sharp edges or corners.