Gauss's Law Equation Question

In summary: This may be what you are referring to. Essentially, Gauss's Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. In summary, the problem is asking to determine the electric charge within the Earth's atmosphere based on the given electric field, radius of the Earth, and Coulomb's constant. Gauss's Law may be used to show that the electric field due to a spherically symmetric charge distribution is the same as the field produced by a point charge of the same value as that of the entire sphere.
Lolligirl

Homework Statement

Suppose that the electric field in the Earth's atmosphere is E = 1.50 x 10^2 N/C, pointing downward. Determine the electric charge in the Earth. (The radius of the Earth is 6371 km, and the Coulomb's constant, ke, is 8.99 x 10^9 N · m2/C2.)

Homework Equations

E=kQr/a^3
Q = E(a^3)/kr

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the equation to solve this (E = kQr/a^3) and have rearranged it to Q = E(a^3)/kr, but my problem is that I don't know what r (or a) is. The Earth's radius would be a, right? Or would it be r? If it's r, then what's a, and vice-versa? Please help me figure r and a's values out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lolligirl said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the electric field in the Earth's atmosphere is E = 1.50 x 10^2 N/C, pointing downward. Determine the electric charge in the Earth. (The radius of the Earth is 6371 km, and the Coulomb's constant, ke, is 8.99 x 10^9 N · m2/C2.)

Homework Equations

E=kQr/a^3
Q = E(a^3)/kr

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the equation to solve this (E = kQr/a^3) and have rearranged it to Q = E(a^3)/kr, but my problem is that I don't know what r (or a) is. The Earth's radius would be a, right? Or would it be r? If it's r, then what's a, and vice-versa? Please help me figure r and a's values out.
Judging by the title you chose for this thread, you should be using Gauss's Law to solve this.

Can you state Gauss's Law?

E=kQ/r^2. This is under the applications section of the chapter on Gauss's law, but directly after an example problem that says to find the magnitude of the electric field at a point inside the sphere, we use E=kQr/a^3. Is that different from finding the magnitude of the electric field due to a point charge in the center of the sphere?

Lolligirl said:
E=kQ/r^2. This is under the applications section of the chapter on Gauss's law, but directly after an example problem that says to find the magnitude of the electric field at a point inside the sphere, we use E=kQr/a^3. Is that different from finding the magnitude of the electric field due to a point charge in the center of the sphere?
The question says nothing about fields inside charged spheres. It mentions the field in the atmosphere (just above ground level, presumably) and charge within the sphere of the Earth.

Lolligirl said:
E=kQ/r2 is Coulombs Law for the electric field due to a point charge.

E=kQr/a^3 gives the electric field inside a sphere of radius, a, at a distance, r, from the sphere's center, if that sphere has total charge Q which is uniformly distributed throughout the sphere's volume. This has nothing to do with the problem stated here.

Gauss's Law can be used to show that electric field due to a spherically symmetric charge distribution is the same as the field produced by a point charge of the same value as that of the entire sphere.

What is Gauss's Law equation?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a given point to the electric charge enclosed within a surface around that point.

What is the mathematical form of Gauss's Law equation?

The mathematical form of Gauss's Law is given by ∮E·dA = Qenc0, where ∮E·dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface, Qenc is the total charge enclosed within that surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What does Gauss's Law equation tell us about electric fields?

Gauss's Law tells us that the electric field is directly proportional to the amount of charge enclosed within a surface and is inversely proportional to the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss's Law equation applied in practical situations?

Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field at a given point by considering the charge enclosed within a surface around that point. It is also used in the analysis of electric fields in conductors, capacitors, and other structures.

What are some limitations of Gauss's Law equation?

Gauss's Law is only valid for static electric fields and does not take into account the effects of changing magnetic fields. It also assumes that the permittivity of free space is constant, which may not be the case in all situations.