1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's law; large sheet

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two very large, nonconducting plastic sheets, each 10.0 cm thick, carry uniform charge densities [tex]\sigma[/tex]1, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2, [tex]\sigma[/tex]3, & [tex]\sigma[/tex]4 on their surfaces, as shown in the figure .

YF-22-30.jpg

These surface charge densities have the values [tex]\sigma[/tex]1= -6.00E-6 C/m^2, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2= +5.00E-6 C/m^2,[tex]\sigma[/tex]3= +2.00E-6 C/m^2, and [tex]\sigma[/tex]4= +4.00E-6 C/m^2.

A) Use Gauss's law to find the magnitude of the electric field at the point A, 5.00 cm from the left face of the left-hand sheet.

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's Law

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, at first this confused me because I'm pretty sure I remember that in Gauss's law, electric field depends only on the enclosed charge. But this problem gives me a lot of distances. So I guess the formula

E = [tex]\sigma[/tex]/(2*[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 )

doesn't work. That's what I tried, anyway, and got the wrong answer. So, how do I approach a problem like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    Okay, I changed the problem.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook