Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gauss's law; large sheet

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two very large, nonconducting plastic sheets, each 10.0 cm thick, carry uniform charge densities [tex]\sigma[/tex]1, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2, [tex]\sigma[/tex]3, & [tex]\sigma[/tex]4 on their surfaces, as shown in the figure .

YF-22-30.jpg

These surface charge densities have the values [tex]\sigma[/tex]1= -6.00E-6 C/m^2, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2= +5.00E-6 C/m^2,[tex]\sigma[/tex]3= +2.00E-6 C/m^2, and [tex]\sigma[/tex]4= +4.00E-6 C/m^2.

A) Use Gauss's law to find the magnitude of the electric field at the point A, 5.00 cm from the left face of the left-hand sheet.

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's Law

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, at first this confused me because I'm pretty sure I remember that in Gauss's law, electric field depends only on the enclosed charge. But this problem gives me a lot of distances. So I guess the formula

E = [tex]\sigma[/tex]/(2*[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 )

doesn't work. That's what I tried, anyway, and got the wrong answer. So, how do I approach a problem like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    Okay, I changed the problem.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook