How Does Gauss's Law Apply to Multiple Charged Sheets?

In summary, two large nonconducting plastic sheets with uniform charge densities are shown in the figure. The surface charge densities have values of -6.00E-6 C/m^2, +5.00E-6 C/m^2, +2.00E-6 C/m^2, and +4.00E-6 C/m^2. Using Gauss's law, the magnitude of the electric field at point A, 5.00 cm from the left face of the left-hand sheet, is to be found. The formula E = \sigma/(2*\epsilon0) does not work in this case as it only depends on the enclosed charge. Therefore, a different approach is needed to solve this problem
Seraph404

Homework Statement

Two very large, nonconducting plastic sheets, each 10.0 cm thick, carry uniform charge densities [tex]\sigma[/tex]1, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2, [tex]\sigma[/tex]3, & [tex]\sigma[/tex]4 on their surfaces, as shown in the figure .

YF-22-30.jpg

These surface charge densities have the values [tex]\sigma[/tex]1= -6.00E-6 C/m^2, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2= +5.00E-6 C/m^2,[tex]\sigma[/tex]3= +2.00E-6 C/m^2, and [tex]\sigma[/tex]4= +4.00E-6 C/m^2.

A) Use Gauss's law to find the magnitude of the electric field at the point A, 5.00 cm from the left face of the left-hand sheet.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, at first this confused me because I'm pretty sure I remember that in Gauss's law, electric field depends only on the enclosed charge. But this problem gives me a lot of distances. So I guess the formula

E = [tex]\sigma[/tex]/(2*[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 )

doesn't work. That's what I tried, anyway, and got the wrong answer. So, how do I approach a problem like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I changed the problem.

Last edited:

You are right that Gauss's law states that the electric field only depends on the enclosed charge. However, in this problem, we have a situation where there are multiple charges on the surfaces of the two sheets. In order to use Gauss's law, we need to consider the electric field due to each individual charge and then sum up the contributions from all of them.

First, we can calculate the electric field due to each sheet separately using the formula E = \sigma/(2*\epsilon0 ). For the left-hand sheet, the electric field at point A would be:

E1 = \sigma1/(2*\epsilon0 ) = (-6.00E-6 C/m^2)/(2*8.85E-12 C^2/Nm^2) = -3.39E5 N/C

Similarly, for the right-hand sheet, the electric field at point A would be:

E2 = \sigma2/(2*\epsilon0 ) = (5.00E-6 C/m^2)/(2*8.85E-12 C^2/Nm^2) = 2.82E5 N/C

Now, we need to consider the electric field due to the other charges (sigma3 and sigma4) on the surfaces of the two sheets. Since these charges are not directly in front of point A, we need to use the distance formula to calculate the distance between each charge and point A.

For sigma3, the distance between the charge and point A is:

d3 = 10.0 cm + 10.0 cm + 5.00 cm = 25.0 cm = 0.250 m

Similarly, for sigma4, the distance between the charge and point A is:

d4 = 10.0 cm + 10.0 cm + 10.0 cm + 5.00 cm = 35.0 cm = 0.350 m

Now, we can calculate the electric field due to each of these charges at point A using the formula E = \sigma/(2*\epsilon0 *r^2), where r is the distance between the charge and point A.

For sigma3, the electric field at point A would be:

E3 = \sigma3/(2*\epsilon0 *d3^2) = (2.00E-6 C/m^2)/(2*8.85E-12 C^2

1. What is Gauss's law?

Gauss's law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed by that surface. It is one of Maxwell's equations and is used to calculate the electric field at a point due to a distribution of charges.

2. How does Gauss's law apply to a large sheet of charge?

In the case of a large sheet of charge, Gauss's law states that the electric field at a point above or below the sheet is equal to the surface charge density divided by 2ε0, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of a large sheet in Gauss's law?

A large sheet is often used as an idealized example in Gauss's law because it simplifies the calculations and allows for easier visualization of the concept. It is also a common scenario in real-world applications, such as in parallel plate capacitors.

4. How can Gauss's law be used to determine the electric field of a large sheet of charge?

To determine the electric field of a large sheet of charge using Gauss's law, a Gaussian surface must be chosen such that the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface. The flux through this surface can then be calculated and equated to the total charge enclosed to solve for the electric field.

5. Can Gauss's law be applied to non-uniform charge distributions on a large sheet?

Yes, Gauss's law can be applied to non-uniform charge distributions on a large sheet by breaking the sheet into smaller sections and using the principle of superposition. Each section can be treated as a separate sheet with its own surface charge density, and the electric field at a point can be calculated by summing the contributions from each section.