1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law (multiple choice)

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    Consider Gauss's law: [tex]
    \oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{a} =\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] . Which of the following is true?

A. E Must be the electric field due to the enclosed charge

B. If q=0 then E=0 everywhere on the Gaussian surface

C. If the charge inside consists of an electric dipole, then the integral is zero

D. E is everywhere parallel to dA along the surface

E. If a charge is placed outside the surface, then it cannot affect E on the surface.

The attempt at a solution

I've ruled out B: Because I can have a point charge outside the Gaussian surface and so E is not zero necessarily at the surface since it will create an E field.

I've ruled out D: Because I can have a cube and E will not always be parallel to the 6 sides. Only case I can think of E being always parallel to dA is for a sphere.

I've ruled out E: Because this is similar to B. The external charge will create an E field of E=kQ/r^2.

So I say the answer is C since q(enclosed) will be zero leaving the integral equal to zero. Or, the answer could be A since isn't that kind of the definition of Gauss's law anyways? Or well, I guess not since we could have a Gaussian surface with no charge in it and a charge outside with E=kQ/r^2. So, the E vector in the integral is not necessarily due to the charge inside the Gaussian surface, right?

I don't think i'm supposed to have multiple answers though...not sure. I'm leaning more towards answer C.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't like A. E is the electric field due to all charges in the universe, not just the ones inside. As you said in your comment on B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook