Gauss's Law problem (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

A long straight conducting rod (or wire) carries a linear charge density of +2.0uC/m. This rod is totally enclosed within a thin cylindrical shell of radius R, which carries a linear charge density of -2.0uC/m.
A) Construct a Gaussian cylindrical surface between the rod and the shell to derive then electric field in the inner space as a function of the distance from the center of the rod.
B) Construct a Gaussian cylindrical surface outside both the rod and the shell to calculate the electric field outside the shell.

This is what i have so far.

E=q/4piEor^2
E=+2.0uC/m / 4pi8.85x10^-12(-2uC/m)^2
E=4.5x10^9Nm^2/C

Anybody?!?!?!?

OlderDan

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
chillaxin said:
A long straight conducting rod (or wire) carries a linear charge density of +2.0uC/m. This rod is totally enclosed within a thin cylindrical shell of radius R, which carries a linear charge density of -2.0uC/m.
A) Construct a Gaussian cylindrical surface between the rod and the shell to derive then electric field in the inner space as a function of the distance from the center of the rod.
B) Construct a Gaussian cylindrical surface outside both the rod and the shell to calculate the electric field outside the shell.

This is what i have so far.

E=q/4piEor^2
E=+2.0uC/m / 4pi8.85x10^-12(-2uC/m)^2
E=4.5x10^9Nm^2/C
The field is certainly not constant in the region between the rod and the cylinder. Are these anwers to multiple parts? Just the first part?

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, the total charge inclosed in the whole system is zero. If the enclosed charge is zero, the electric field is zero. Thus from what I can draw, the answer to B is zero. The answer to A requires using the enclosed charge to be the positive portion and then solving for E.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving