1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law problem

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    A long straight conducting rod (or wire) carries a linear charge density of +2.0uC/m. This rod is totally enclosed within a thin cylindrical shell of radius R, which carries a linear charge density of -2.0uC/m.
    A) Construct a Gaussian cylindrical surface between the rod and the shell to derive then electric field in the inner space as a function of the distance from the center of the rod.
    B) Construct a Gaussian cylindrical surface outside both the rod and the shell to calculate the electric field outside the shell.

This is what i have so far.

E=q/4piEor^2
    E=+2.0uC/m / 4pi8.85x10^-12(-2uC/m)^2
    E=4.5x10^9Nm^2/C

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2
    Anybody?!?!?!?

4. Oct 24, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The field is certainly not constant in the region between the rod and the cylinder. Are these anwers to multiple parts? Just the first part?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  5. Oct 24, 2006 #4
    Unless I'm mistaken, the total charge inclosed in the whole system is zero. If the enclosed charge is zero, the electric field is zero. Thus from what I can draw, the answer to B is zero. The answer to A requires using the enclosed charge to be the positive portion and then solving for E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?