1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's law problem

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    I read in Corson and Lorrain that Gauss's law is more gneral than Coulomb's law.It can even be applied to moving charges whatever be their velocities/accelerations.Can anyone explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Coulomb's law cannot be applied to moving charges.
    The Lienard-Wiechert potentials have to be used.
    Since div E=4pi rho in all cases, Gauss's law still applies.
    However since the symmetry is lost, Gauss's law just gives the integral of E over a closed surface and can't be used to find E(r).

4. Mar 1, 2007 #3
    Well,I found it in a text I mentioned.I think we may think this way:the charge inside the closed surface will be static or moving.Whatever the case,the fluxes are electric as well as magnetic.Gauss's law still holds because, magnetic flux out of a closed surface is zero.We do not find the B field when charges inside are in motion.

5. Mar 2, 2007 #4
    This is clear if we look at the Maxwell Equations. The curl of E is no longer zero, for the particle is moving and that makes the B changing with time. Thus the Coloumb's Law fails but div E is unchanging and Gauss's Law holds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook