Gauss's Law: Solve Cylindrical Shell Problem

In summary, the electric field at a point 4.00 cm from the axis, measured radially outward from the midpoint of the shell, is 36.0 kN/C.
jghlee

Homework Statement

So here's the question...

A cylindrical shell of radius 7.00 cm and length 240 cm has its charge uniformly distributed on its curved surface. The magnitude of the electric field at a point 19.0 cm radially outward from its axis (mesaured from the midpoint of the shell) is 36.0 kN/C. Find (a) the net charge on the shell and (b) the electric field at a point 4.00 cm from the axis, measured radially outward from the midpoint of the shell.

Homework Equations

Flux = EA = q/Eo

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the answer at (a) but I'm seriously questioning myself after taking a look at (b). So, basically (b) states that the E inside the cylindrical shell is 0 since all the charges reside on the surface of the spherical shell (so there's no charge inside right?). I solved (a) by ...
(3.6e4)(2r(pi)x) = q/Eo... where x=19cm since that's the distance from the center of the cylindrical shell to the point at where the E is 36.0 KN/c.

So that's the right way to do it but here's what confuses me. Why do we use 19cm instead of (19-7=12cm) when there are no charges inside the cylindrical shell? Isn't the charges ONLY coming from the surface of the shell? So basically shouldn't the distance from the charge to the point where we find the E be 12cm?

Any help will be appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct there is no charge inside the shell.
Why do we use 19cm instead of (19-7=12cm) when there are no charges inside the cylindrical shell?
Consider the area of the cylindrical surface. It increases with r2.

So charge density decreases with area. (Q/A) And so does the field effect from the charge decrease with 1/r2.

So whether it is a line charge with 0 radius but charge measured by unit length, or surface charge at some radius, the field effect at some radial distance from the axis and outside the surface will be the same.

Line charge:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elecyl.html#c1
conducting cylinder:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elecyl.html#c2

So, just to make sure I'm on the right page here, we can basically consider the conducting cylinder as a really thick line charge?

jghlee said:
So, just to make sure I'm on the right page here, we can basically consider the conducting cylinder as a really thick line charge?

Well the equations certainly bear a remarkable similarity don't they?

thanks for the help LowlyPion

Gauss' law:

[tex]\oint_S \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathrm{d}\mathbf{A} = \frac{Q_{\mathrm{enclosed}}}{\varepsilon_0}[/tex]

applies to any closed surface whatsoever. That means you don't need to care how the charges are distributed inside the surface; as long as you have a closed surface, like the surface of a sphere, cylinder, or cube, the equation holds.

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface.

2. What is the cylindrical shell problem in Gauss's Law?

The cylindrical shell problem is a common example used to demonstrate the application of Gauss's Law. It involves finding the electric field at a point outside of a uniformly charged cylindrical shell.

3. How do you solve the cylindrical shell problem using Gauss's Law?

To solve the cylindrical shell problem, you first choose a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cylinder that encloses the charged shell. Then, apply Gauss's Law by equating the electric flux through the Gaussian surface to the charge enclosed within it.

4. What is the formula for Gauss's Law in solving the cylindrical shell problem?

The formula for Gauss's Law in solving the cylindrical shell problem is E = Qenc / (2πε₀r), where E is the electric field, Qenc is the enclosed charge, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point where the electric field is being measured.

5. What are the assumptions made when solving the cylindrical shell problem using Gauss's Law?

There are three main assumptions made when solving the cylindrical shell problem using Gauss's Law: 1) The cylindrical shell has a uniform charge distribution, 2) The Gaussian surface is chosen to be a cylinder with a radius larger than the radius of the cylindrical shell, and 3) The electric field is radially symmetric around the cylindrical shell.