Gauss's Law: Understanding the Role of E in Electric Field Calculation

• I
  • Thread starter FS98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, Gauss's law states that the electric field, represented by E, can be calculated using a Gaussian cylinder. The value of E is dependent on the integral, which is influenced by the value of the integrand at all points on the integration domain. However, the electric field is generally not constant on the surface and can vary depending on the symmetries of the problem. For example, in the case of an infinitely long charged rod, the electric field at the center of one of the circular ends would be 0 due to the symmetry of the problem. Therefore, the integral over the end caps would be 0 and the total integral would be determined by the mantle. The example provided in the video is not fully accurate and should
FS98
Gauss’s law is stated as follows

9810529d253a8cc85469e17185424ea235655087
25px-OiintLaTeX.svg.png
3b570ea85ff659c8b20a3b538b0000c21c530162
6725e7a0cdea9f4dd1d9cd9ccf6df16e23164ba2

What exactly does E describe. If you use a Gaussian cylinder for example, where does the value of E describe the electric field?

Attachments

• 25px-OiintLaTeX.svg.png
    25px-OiintLaTeX.svg.png
    522 bytes · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
On the cylinder surface. Note that you have an integral, which depends on the value of the integrand at all points on the integration domain.

Likes FS98
Orodruin said:
On the cylinder surface. Note that you have an integral, which depends on the value of the integrand at all points on the integration domain.
What about the circles on the end of the cylinder? I’ve seen some examples where the value for E only depends on the radius of the cylinder. It doesn’t make sense for a point on the center of one of the circular ends of a cylinder to have the same electric field as the top for a situation like a long rod.

Of course it doesn't, the electric field is generally not constant on the surface.

Likes FS98
Orodruin said:
Of course it doesn't, the electric field is generally not constant on the surface.
But the value of E solved for with Gauss’s law in some examples I’ve seen was some constants multiplied by r. If E represented the electric field at on the surface, and was only dependent on r, then wouldn’t the electric field have to be the same on every point on a cylinder of a specified radius, including the ends?

FS98 said:
But the value of E solved for with Gauss’s law in some examples I’ve seen was some constants multiplied by r.
In order to do this you need to be able to argue that the electric field component in the normal direction of the surface is constant on the surface due to symmetries. It is not a generally applicable method. The symmetries have to do with the source and not anything to do with the surface itself. In many cases you can choose a surface cleverly such that you can utilise symmetry arguments.

Likes FS98
FS98 said:
including the ends
Consider the significance of the dot product ##\mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{A}##, particularly in the special cases where ##\mathbf{E}## is perpendicular and parallel to the surface at the location of ##d \mathbf{A}##. Which case applies at the ends of the cylindrical Gaussian surface, in the examples that you're looking at?

It would help if you describe a specific example that confuses you, or point us to a page that describes it, preferably with a diagram. Otherwise we have to guess, and we might guess the wrong example, which would lead to confusion.

Likes FS98
jtbell said:
Consider the significance of the dot product ##\mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{A}##, particularly in the special cases where ##\mathbf{E}## is perpendicular and parallel to the surface at the location of ##d \mathbf{A}##. Which case applies at the ends of the cylindrical Gaussian surface, in the examples that you're looking at?

It would help if you describe a specific example that confuses you, or point us to a page that describes it, preferably with a diagram. Otherwise we have to guess, and we might guess the wrong example, which would lead to confusion.
The example I’m thinking of is from this video.

A Gaussian cylinder is used to find the electric field from an infinitely long charged rod. I’ll upload a picture of finished problem from the video. The answer that the uploaded gets is E = λ/(2πε0r). If E is the electric field at any point on the surface, I’m not sure this makes sense because of the ends of the cylinders. I would think that the electric field at the center of one of the circular ends would be 0 for example rather than the value of E calculated.

I understand that in the example the flux on the ends is 0, but I don’t see how that would imply that the electric field calculated doesn’t apply at those points.

Attachments

• E895FFF8-BE35-48E7-8397-71E4AA6EC816.png
    E895FFF8-BE35-48E7-8397-71E4AA6EC816.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 397
FS98 said:
I understand that in the example the flux on the ends is 0, but I don’t see how that would imply that the electric field calculated doesn’t apply at those points.
It does apply. But the contribution to the integral is zero due to the field being radial and therefore parallel to the surface. The reason you do a cylinder in the first place is the symmetry of the problem. You can argue that the field is radial everywhere and therefore ##\vec E \cdot d\vec S = E\, dS## on the mantle with ##E## constant. The contribution from the mantle is therefore ##EA##, where ##A## is the mantle area. The contribution to the integral from the end caps is zero because on the end caps ##\vec E \cdot d\vec S = 0##. The total integral is therefore ##EA##, which needs to be compared with the enclosed charge.

Edit: Also note that the guy in your video is being rather sloppy in his notation at 3:40. What he is writing down is the integral over the mantle (after arguing that the integral over the end caps are zero) and as such it is not a closed surface integral and should not have the ring.

Likes FS98
Orodruin said:
But the contribution to the integral [on the end caps] is zero due to the field being radial and therefore parallel to the surface.
...and perpendicular to ##d\mathbf{A}##, which is what matters for the dot product ##\mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{A}##. Note the diagrams in these examples. They use ##\Delta \mathbf{A}## instead of ##d\mathbf{A}##, but the idea is the same.

Likes FS98 and vanhees71
Orodruin said:
It does apply. But the contribution to the integral is zero due to the field being radial and therefore parallel to the surface.
I think my problem is the math. I’m familiar with calc 1 integrals but the math here seems to be different than what I’m used to.

Is the following correct?

The value E gives the electric field at all parts of the cylinder.

The dot product area integral for the cylinder is equal to the dot product area integral for the end caps plus the dot product area integral for the curved part of the cylinder.

The dot product area integral for the end caps is equal to 0 because of the dot product.

Our new dot product area integral contains the value E which now only describes the electric field along the curved area of the cylinder.

Yes, you’ve described it correctly.

The flux integrals that you’ll see in this course will probably all be similar to this one, in that you’ll be able to split them into parts that are either zero like the end caps here, or a simple product of the area and some constant field magnitude.

If you continue on to Calculus III and more advanced physics courses, you’ll get examples that you actually have to solve as “real integrals.” The important thing in this course is to grasp them conceptually.

Likes FS98

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed by that surface. It is named after the German mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss.

2. How is Gauss's Law used in electric field calculations?

Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field at a point in space due to a distribution of charges. It allows us to simplify complicated calculations by using symmetry and choosing an appropriate Gaussian surface.

3. What is the role of the constant "E" in Gauss's Law?

The constant "E" in Gauss's Law represents the electric permittivity of free space, which is a measure of how easily electric fields can pass through a given medium. It is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism and has a value of approximately 8.85 x 10^-12 F/m.

4. Can Gauss's Law be applied to any charge distribution?

Gauss's Law can be applied to any charge distribution, as long as the charge is enclosed by the chosen Gaussian surface. However, it is most useful for calculating the electric field for symmetrical charge distributions, such as a point charge, line of charge, or charged sphere.

5. What are some real-world applications of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of capacitors, the calculation of the electric field inside a conductor, and the analysis of electric fields in lightning rods. It is also used in various technologies, including particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electronic devices.