1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law with a Insulating Shell

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    pic.gif
    An insulator in the shape of a spherical shell is shown in cross-section above. The insulator is defined by an inner radius a = 4 cm and an outer radius b = 6 cm and carries a total charge of Q = + 9 μC(You may assume that the charge is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of the insulator).

What is Ey, the y-component of the electric field at point P which is located at (x,y) = (0, -5 cm) as shown in the diagram?

2. Relevant equations
    $$E\oint dA = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm confused on where the boundries of the shell lie, is it between the end of a and the end of b (thus making the shell have a width of b-a)?

If it IS the above, then we'd have to do analyze the problem with a Gaussian surface that ends at point P, located between the two.

We already know:
    $$\rho = \frac{+Q}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3}$$​

$$E\oint dA = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}$$​
    $$EA = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}$$​
    $$E(4\pi r^2) = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}$$​
    $$E(4\pi r^2) = \frac{\rho \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3}{\epsilon_0}$$​
    $$E = \frac{\rho r}{3\epsilon_0}$$​

However, when I attempt to use the above expression, I'm not getting a correct answer. What am I doing incorrectly, I'm definitely confused on what "r" should I be using (i.e. is "r" the .05 m given to us in the problem or is, for some reason, the sphere with radius P minus the sphere with a radius of a)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

That is an equation for a uniform sphere, not for a spherical shell.
    What is the volume of the spherical shell?

You'll need another volume of a (different) spherical shell for the electric field afterwards.

4. Sep 14, 2014 #3
    Thank you!

I understood my error basically as soon as I wrote out the question despite struggling for a while.

For anyone else with a similar problem looking at this, basically there's only charge in the "shell" between b and a. So to find the charge density you'd have to do the equation for a shell with radius b and subtract from that the shell with radius a, basically netting you with:

$$\rho = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3}\pi (b^3-a^3)}$$​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted