1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's law

1. Feb 17, 2004 #1
    I have a HW problem for non-calculus based physics that I can't seem to figure out. Please help me if you can:

Consider a sphere of radius R woth a uniform positive charge distribution (rho)=q/V. Using Gauss's law, prove (a) that the magnitude of the electric field outside the spherical volume is E=q/4(pi)(permittivity of free space)r^2= (rho) R^3 / 3 (permittivity of free space)r^2, (b) that the magnitude of the electric field insode the sphere at a distance r from the center is E=(rho)r/(permittivity), (c) compare the results of a and b when r=R.

I have Gauss's law: E(4(pi)r^2=4(pi)koQ and that for r>R, E=ko Q/r^2
    and i substituted in (rho)V for Q and 4/3 (pi)r^3 for V and simplified, but this did not prove part A.
    And for r<R, Q'=Q(r/R)^3 because the inner sphere encloses a volume 4/3 (pi)r^3 which is (r/R)^3 times the total volume. but this doesn't work out either. And how do i reconcile ko from coulomb with the permittivity?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

All you need is Gauss's law. Gauss's law in terms of permitivity of free space (pfs) is:
    E*(Area) = Q/(pfs). The area is 4&pi;r2; the volume of charge is 4/3*&pi;R3. This should give you the answer you seek.
    For r<R, use the same idea. The area is 4&pi;r2; the volume of charge is 4/3*&pi;r3. This should work.
    You don't need to use Coulomb's law, only Gauss's law. But k0 = 1/(4&pi;(pfs)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?