1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's law

1. Aug 16, 2008 #1
    The earth’s electric field is measured at a height of 200 m and is found to be directed vertically downwards and to have a strength of 100 Vm1. At a height of 300 m, the direction of the field is found to be the same, but the field’s strength has decreased to 60 Vm1. Use Gauss’ law to determine the amount of charge contained in a cube of side 100 m with one face parallel to the earth’s surface located at a height between 200 m and 300 m. (You may ignore the curvature of the earth.)

THIS IS FOR A PHYSICS DEGREE MODULE RESIT. I HAVE DRAWN RELEVANT DIAGRAMS YET I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START. aNY GUIDANCE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION WOULD BE A MASSIVE HELP.

do I use coulombs law and work out the respective charges?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use Gauss' law, not Coulomb's law.

4. Aug 16, 2008 #3
    This is a pretty standard and basic Gauss's Law problem. I would suggest finding an introductory physics textbook and reading the appropriate section. You might even find this same problem solved, or something like it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?