1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    y is this statement wrong?

The electric field on a gaussian surface is generally not influenced by charge that is not enclosed by the surface.

ps: isn't the electric field proportional only to the ENCLOSED CHARGE, but not the outside charge?? :confused:

This is getting me so fRustrated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Gauss law is a law of electric flux, not E-field. If the situation is symmetric enough, you may extract the value of the E-field from it. Consider a Gaussian surface enclosing an electric dipole. Are you able to determine the E-field at any point on the surface? Now imagine the distance between the positive and negative charges increasing along with the size of the Gaussian surface. What is the E-field at any point on the surface?

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    hmm, first, thx Defender! I no that u need a constant E throughout the Gaussian surface in order to extract E from the integral. but how do you explain why the E- field on Gaussian surface is affected by a charge outside of the surface?? cuz the ENCLOSED Q is the key right? or do u mean the size of the Gaussian surface is changing when a charge is placed outside of it?

THXXX :)

5. Aug 18, 2008 #4
    ohh, I think I got it now! So the distribution of E field is changing on the Gaussian surface, but the total E dA is the same. yAy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?