1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's law ?

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1

eRa

Hi there,

I have a question for you guys. It might sound stupid, but I don't get the material; my teacher can't teach!!! and your help is very appreciated

I am reading about Gauss's law where they come to the conclusion that flux=charge/Eo

as in this link http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electric/elesph.html

my question is why won't the net electric field be zero since we can cancel the field lines?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

With what?

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why won't the net electric field of what be zero? What field lines are canceling?

(That link describes the field from a point charge.)

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

eRa

hi.. sorry I didn't mean to be unclear

True ,, the link describes the field from a point charge so each field line has another field line that is in the opposite direction.. so why don't all the field lines cancel?
    I am sorry I don't know how to explain it better

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi eRa! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Flux is through a surface

all the field lines in the diagram are going the same way through that surface. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook