1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if someone could explain Gauss's law. For whatever reason, I just cannot grasp this idea (might be my teacher). I understand that the electric field through a surface can be represented as [itex]\oint \vec{E} d\vec{A}[/itex] but every problem that we do ends up resulting in it equaling [itex]E\oint dA[/itex] and finally EA. I really don't even understand this equation, how to use it, how to apply it, etc. If anyone could clear this up that'd be great.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2
    guass law: the total flux through a surface is (1/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]) times the total charge enclosed within it .. we take integral of E.ds to arrive to a equation ie [itex]\phi[/itex] = q/[itex]\epsilon[/itex] .
    while integrating consider a point charge and make a guassian surface of a sphere, and you will find that kq/r2*4∏r2. now this 4∏r2 gets cancelled with your k and r2... hence we take integral of that to arrive at equation.

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The integral form of Gauss's Law is used to work out the charge enclosed by a surface by integrating the electric flux over that surface.

The reason E can frequently be taken outside the integral is that Gauss's Law is independent of the chosen surface. So it makes sense to choose a surface with nice symmetry that makes the integral as simple as possible.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook