1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's theorem & electric flux

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am reading through my textbook about an application of the divergence theorem involving a point charge enclosed by some arbitrary Gaussian surface. When the author evaluates the ∫sE dot dA, they rewrite the expression as a double integral in spherical coordinates I am fine with this except I can't quite grasp the limits of integration that are given; they are 0 to pi and 0 to 2pi. I am having trouble picturing how these rotations integrate over the whole sphere, as I keep visualizing that both the limits should be 0 2pi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

that would cover the surface twice

2 pi is one full revolution

imagine half a circle, swept by a line rotated at its base from 0 to pi

then rotate this about the axis defining by the half circle by full 2 pi to generate a sphere

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

4. Feb 21, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

that would cover the surface twice

2 pi is one full revolution

imagine half a circle, swept by a line rotated at its base from 0 to pi

then rotate this about the axis defining by the half circle by full 2 pi to generate a sphere

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook