Proving Gauss's Theorem: Closed Surface

In summary, Gauss's theorem states that if a surface is closed, then the integral of the vector nds over the surface is zero.
rado5

Homework Statement

Using Gauss's theorem prove that [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}ds=0[/tex] if s is a closed surface.

Homework Equations

Gauss's theorem: [tex]\int_{V}\nabla.\vec{A}dv= \oint_{s}\vec{A}.\vec{n}da[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is constant so [tex]\nabla.\vec{A}=0[/tex] so [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}ds= \int_{V}\nabla.\vec{A}dv=0[/tex]

Please tell me if it is wrong. Is there a better solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think in this problem [tex]\vec{A}=(1,1,1)[/tex] is it correct? So [tex]\nabla.\vec{A}=0[/tex]

rado5 said:
I think in this problem [tex]\vec{A}=(1,1,1)[/tex] is it correct? So [tex]\nabla.\vec{A}=0[/tex]

Not quite. The integral of nds is a vector, call it N. If you use A=(1,0,0) that would show that the x component of A is zero, right?

rado5 said:

Homework Statement

Using Gauss's theorem prove that [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}ds=0[/tex] if s is a closed surface.
What does this mean? In Gauss's theorem, below, [itex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{n}[/itex] is a scalar function that you are integrating over the surface of the region. Here, you are integrating a vector valued function, [itex]\vec{n}[/itex], itself, over what? Below you use "da" as a "differential of surface area". What is "ds"? Do you mean "ds" to represent the "vector differential of surface area" that I would call "[itex]d\vec{S}[/itex]", the vector perpendicular to the surface with length the differential of surface area:
[tex]\oint d\vec{S}= \oint \vec{n}\cdot \vec{n}dS[/itex] (and my "dS" is your "da"). Apparently not, because in that case, your "A" below is just the the normal vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] itself, not a constant vector and [itex]\0\int d\vec{S}= 0[/itex] is not true!

Homework Equations

Gauss's theorem: [tex]\int_{V}\nabla.\vec{A}dv= \oint_{s}\vec{A}.\vec{n}da[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is constant so [tex]\nabla.\vec{A}=0[/tex] so [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}ds= \int_{V}\nabla.\vec{A}dv=0[/tex]

Please tell me if it is wrong. Is there a better solution?

I think the main idea here is to take note of the fact that for any constant vector [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex], you can say

[tex]\int_{\mathcal{S}}\textbf{A}\cdot\textbf{n}da=\textbf{A}\cdot\int_{\mathcal{S}}\textbf{n}da[/tex]

And from here, just apply Gauss' theorem.

Dick said:
Not quite. The integral of nds is a vector, call it N. If you use A=(1,0,0) that would show that the x component of A is zero, right?

Right, gabbagabbahey. In the above post I meant to say "that would show that the x component of n ds is zero". Ooops.

Ok, first of all I would like to thank all of you for your great generosity to make me understand this problem.

Now I think I can prove it, and this is my work.

[tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}da= \int_{s}(n_{x},n_{y},n_{z})da= (\int_{s}n_{x} da ,\int_{s}n_{y} da ,\int_{s}n_{z} da)[/tex]

[tex]\int_{s}n_{x} da= \int_{s}(\vec{i}.\vec{n})da= \int_{V}\nabla.\vec{i}dv= \int_{V}0 dv= 0[/tex]

And now I can say that [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}da= 0[/tex]

Last edited:
rado5 said:
Ok, first of all I would like to thank all of you for your great generosity to make me understand this problem.

Now I think I can prove it, and this is my work.

[tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}da= \int_{s}(n_{x},n_{y},n_{z})da= (\int_{s}n_{x} da ,\int_{s}n_{y} da ,\int_{s}n_{z} da)[/tex]

[tex]\int_{s}n_{x} da= \int_{s}(\vec{i}.\vec{n})da= \int_{V}\nabla.\vec{i}dv= \int_{v}0 dv= 0[/tex]

And now I can say that [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}da= 0[/tex]

That's it.

Thank you very much, you are all wonderful instructors and I do respect you a lot. I would like to donate to this wonderful site, but unfortunately in my terrible country, we have no credit cards and no western union, previously I had wanted to donate to http://ocw.mit.edu but I couldn't.

What is Gauss's Theorem: Closed Surface?

Gauss's Theorem, also known as Gauss's Law, is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the flow of electric fields through a closed surface to the enclosed electric charge. It is a powerful tool for calculating electric fields and understanding the behavior of electric charges.

How is Gauss's Theorem applied to a closed surface?

Gauss's Theorem is applied by dividing a closed surface into small elements and calculating the electric flux through each element. The total electric flux through the entire surface is equal to the total enclosed electric charge multiplied by a constant known as the permittivity of free space.

What is the significance of a closed surface in Gauss's Theorem?

A closed surface is important in Gauss's Theorem because it allows for a complete integration of the electric field over the entire surface. This integration is necessary in order to relate the electric flux to the enclosed electric charge.

Why is it important to prove Gauss's Theorem?

Proving Gauss's Theorem is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the relationship between electric fields and electric charge. It also allows for the calculation of electric fields in complex situations, making it a valuable tool in physics and engineering.

What are some real-world applications of Gauss's Theorem?

Gauss's Theorem is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the design of electrical circuits, the calculation of electric fields in charged particles, and the study of electricity and magnetism in physics and engineering. It is also utilized in the development of technologies such as capacitors and electromagnets.