1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's theorem

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using Gauss's theorem prove that [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}ds=0[/tex] if s is a closed surface.

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's theorem: [tex]\int_{V}\nabla.\vec{A}dv= \oint_{s}\vec{A}.\vec{n}da[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    In this problem [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is constant so [tex]\nabla.\vec{A}=0[/tex] so [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}ds= \int_{V}\nabla.\vec{A}dv=0[/tex]

Please tell me if it is wrong. Is there a better solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2
    I think in this problem [tex]\vec{A}=(1,1,1)[/tex] is it correct? So [tex]\nabla.\vec{A}=0[/tex]

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite. The integral of nds is a vector, call it N. If you use A=(1,0,0) that would show that the x component of A is zero, right?

5. Nov 21, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does this mean? In Gauss's theorem, below, [itex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{n}[/itex] is a scalar function that you are integrating over the surface of the region. Here, you are integrating a vector valued function, [itex]\vec{n}[/itex], itself, over what? Below you use "da" as a "differential of surface area". What is "ds"? Do you mean "ds" to represent the "vector differential of surface area" that I would call "[itex]d\vec{S}[/itex]", the vector perpendicular to the surface with length the differential of surface area:
    [tex]\oint d\vec{S}= \oint \vec{n}\cdot \vec{n}dS[/itex] (and my "dS" is your "da"). Apparently not, because in that case, your "A" below is just the the normal vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] itself, not a constant vector and [itex]\0\int d\vec{S}= 0[/itex] is not true!

6. Nov 21, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the main idea here is to take note of the fact that for any constant vector [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex], you can say

[tex]\int_{\mathcal{S}}\textbf{A}\cdot\textbf{n}da=\textbf{A}\cdot\int_{\mathcal{S}}\textbf{n}da[/tex]

And from here, just apply Gauss' theorem.

7. Nov 21, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, gabbagabbahey. In the above post I meant to say "that would show that the x component of n ds is zero". Ooops.

8. Nov 21, 2009 #7
    Ok, first of all I would like to thank all of you for your great generosity to make me understand this problem.

Now I think I can prove it, and this is my work.

[tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}da= \int_{s}(n_{x},n_{y},n_{z})da= (\int_{s}n_{x} da ,\int_{s}n_{y} da ,\int_{s}n_{z} da)[/tex]

[tex]\int_{s}n_{x} da= \int_{s}(\vec{i}.\vec{n})da= \int_{V}\nabla.\vec{i}dv= \int_{V}0 dv= 0[/tex]

And now I can say that [tex]\int_{s}\vec{n}da= 0[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  9. Nov 21, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it.

10. Nov 21, 2009 #9
    Thank you very much, you are all wonderful instructors and I do respect you a lot. I would like to donate to this wonderful site, but unfortunately in my terrible country, we have no credit cards and no western union, previously I had wanted to donate to http://ocw.mit.edu but I couldn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook