1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GAXPY operations

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be an nxn matrix belonging to R and x be a vector of length k belonging to R. Find the first column of
    M = (A − x1I)(A − x2I)...(A − xrI) using a sequence of GAXPY’s operations.

2. Relevant equations
    GAXPY: General matrix A multiplied by a vector X plus a vector Y

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to figure it out by writing A and x explicitly and then multiplying (A-x1I) ...(A-xrI) but it was so messy and i did not get any result, i want a hint how to start the solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The matrix and vector don't "belong to" R. I think what you mean is that the entries in A and x are real numbers. The matrix would be an element of ##\mathbb{R}^{n x n}## and the vector would be (I think) an element of ##\mathbb{R}^k##, unless by "length" you mean its magnitude.
    What is r in the equation above? In other words, how many factors are there on the right?

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3
    what you thought is absolutely right, A is a matrix in R^(nxn) and x is an element of R^K . r is a real variable that is equal to k. Sorry for misstating the problem statement.

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4

Mark44

Is there any relationship between k and n? Such as ##k \le n##?

If not, are there an arbitrary number of factors in M? In what you wrote, there last component of x in the matrix product is xr. The exact statement of the problem would be helpful.

I don't know if this is the best approach, but I would start with small matrices, say 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 matrix, to get an idea of how things work. I can't give any more advice until I understand more of the details of the problem.

6. Sep 29, 2015 #5
    A is an nxn matrix, I is its identity and should be also an nxn matrix, k must be equal to n because we want A-xrI . Here is the exact statement of the problem:
    Let A ∈Rnxn, x ∈ Rk. Find the first column of M = (A − x1I)(A − x2I)...(A − xkI) using a sequence of GAXPY’s operations.

7. Sep 29, 2015 #6

Mark44

Try what I suggested at the end of post #4, with a 3 x 3 matrix A. That's what I would start with, and it might give you some insight into what happens for larger matrices.

$$A = \begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\
    a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\
    a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33} \end{bmatrix}$$
    $$x = \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{bmatrix}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted