Gay book ban goal of state lawmaker

• News
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book State
In summary, the Alabama lawmaker wants to ban novels with gay characters from public libraries, including university libraries, because he says they promote homosexuality. He also wants to ban books with sexist content and those that are too controversial. He believes that marriage should be banned altogether because it is too controversial.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
News from Alabama..

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1101896768316400.xml

MONTGOMERY - An Alabama lawmaker who sought to ban gay marriages now wants to ban novels with gay characters from public libraries, including university libraries.

A bill by Rep. Gerald Allen, R-Cottondale, would prohibit the use of public funds for "the purchase of textbooks or library materials that recognize or promote homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle." Allen said he filed the bill to protect children from the "homosexual agenda."

"Our culture, how we know it today, is under attack from every angle," Allen said in a press conference Tuesday.

Allen said that if his bill passes, novels with gay protagonists and college textbooks that suggest homosexuality is natural would have to be removed from library shelves and destroyed.

"I guess we dig a big hole and dump them in and bury them," he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Despite everything I've said about liberals, who i still don't like, can imoveto Canada, because i really don't want to be affiliated with that ass(well he's probably actually an elephant, but that's not the point).

I can understand not approving, or holding a position that homosexuality is wrong, i don't think such a position is right, but i can understand where a person with that belief is coming from at least. However, the book banning is down right wrong. It violates the principle of the 1st, and 14th amendments(equal protection), if not the letter.

However this proposal is nothing new. Even children's books like "A day in the life of a Policeman" are taken off the shelves for being 'sexist.' This kind of crap is just that:crap. It comes from both the left and the right who are all trying to force their own views down everyone else's throats and i am friggin sick of it.

You know what, screw moving to Canada, its proabably not any better there. I'm moving to a deserted island without another human for 500 miles. Maybe there i won't have to develop high blood pressure over *******s who aren't worth it.

What I found amusing is that when I was a kid growing up in Alabama the big thing was book-BURNING. But oh, things have changed so much since then.
Now they just want to BURY the books in a hole.
Smells like progress to me!

Of course it's progress! If you burn books you let all these evil greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Bury them and the paper decomposes naturally.
Makes perfect sense to me...

Andromeda321 said:
Of course it's progress! If you burn books you let all these evil greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Bury them and the paper decomposes naturally.
Makes perfect sense to me...
LOL! :rofl: An excellent point! It's an enviromentally-friendly bill!

Well, there's been some speculation on how different cultures enact authoritarian policies against books.
  1. European Fascists: Book Cremation
  2. Southern Religious Fundamentalists: Book Burying
  3. Ancient Egyptian Authoritarians: Book Mummification, with a retinue of dozens of librarians and editors sealed in the tomb with the books to accompany them to the afterlife
  4. Close-Minded Pirates: Book Burial At Sea
  5. Totalitarian Uruguayan Rugby Players Trapped In Andes: Book Cannibalism, in which books are eaten by other, more deserving books

franznietzsche said:
I'm moving to a deserted island without another human for 500 miles. Maybe there i won't have to develop high blood pressure over *******s who aren't worth it.

I was going to recommend Tristan da Cunha, but I did a quick check and found that it's too late.

I think Palmyra, in the South Pacific, is still available - though there is the small matter of some silly curse.

Last edited:
plover said:
Well, there's been some speculation on how different cultures enact authoritarian policies against books.

#5 was my favorite! :rofl:

Gokul43201 said:
I was going to recommend Tristan da Cunha, but I did a quick check and found that it's too late.

I think Palmyra, in the South Pacific, is still available - though there is the small matter of some silly curse.

I'd settle for pitcairn, there's only 20 people there. And its its own country
:cool:. Except 1/4 are rapists... so maybe not...

Tristan de cunha would probably do. But i'd rather have some random spit of land in the south pacific to which imight periodicallyimport afew tahitian beauties
:tongue:

franznietzsche said:
which imight periodically import afew tahitian beauties...
...who read Kafka and Camus :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
Allen said that if his bill passes, novels with gay protagonists and college textbooks that suggest homosexuality is natural would have to be removed from library shelves and destroyed.

Im getting tired of this religious extremism. If this path is taken, who knows where we'll end up. Barring gay from schools? Lynching gays for their sexuality? Initiatives are already underway to get rid of gay marriage, what next?

I say marriage is too controversial :tongue2: . We should place a ban on marriage altogether, heterosexual and otherwise :biggrin: . We'd be... a nation of swingers.

Math Is Hard said:
...who read Kafka and Camus :approve:

SCORE!

Now that's what i call paradise :biggrin:

Andromeda321 said:
If you burn books you let all these evil greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Bury them and the paper decomposes naturally...QUOTE]

...and releases the same amount of greenhouse gas! Gotta love the "greenies".

I saw this guy on Hannity and Colmes. He was stuttering and incoherent, and didn't answer any of the questions he was asked. It's amazing that he could even get elected.

Anyone can get elected as long as big business is backing you. This guy wasn't chosen for his abilities or for his representing the majority. He was chosen because he agreed with the neo-conservatives... Yes, chosen.

How the hell would you know why this guy was elected? Had you even heard of him before this thread was posted? There are people in government who are not neo-conservatives and there are even people in government that are not the least bit friendly to corporations. Just look at California. Most of the legislators here pander to big unions and immigrants.

Newsflash: Bigot elected in Alabama.

Next week: Black man makes Rap album.

It wasn't the fact that he was a bigot that startled me. There are eloquent bigots in the world. This man was shaking as he spoke and could barely put together a sentence.

loseyourname said:
It wasn't the fact that he was a bigot that startled me. There are eloquent bigots in the world. This man was shaking as he spoke and could barely put together a sentence.

Newsflash: Imbecile elected in Alabama.

loseyourname said:
How the hell would you know why this guy was elected? Had you even heard of him before this thread was posted? There are people in government who are not neo-conservatives and there are even people in government that are not the least bit friendly to corporations. Just look at California. Most of the legislators here pander to big unions and immigrants.
Ok... Chosen by big business, or elected by masses controlled by media owned by big business, Whatever. Really.

What is the "Gay book ban goal"?

The "Gay book ban goal" refers to a proposed legislation by a state lawmaker that aims to restrict access to books about LGBTQ+ topics in schools and public libraries.

Why does the state lawmaker want to ban these books?

The state lawmaker believes that books about LGBTQ+ topics promote a "homosexual agenda" and are not appropriate for young readers. They claim that these books go against their personal beliefs and values.

What impact would this ban have on the LGBTQ+ community?

The ban would greatly limit the representation and visibility of LGBTQ+ individuals in literature. It would also send a harmful message that their stories and experiences are not valid or worthy of being shared.

Is this ban constitutional?

The constitutionality of the ban is debatable. It could potentially violate the First Amendment rights of free speech and expression, as well as the right to access information. However, the ban could also be defended under the state's right to regulate education and protect minors from harmful materials.

What can be done to oppose this ban?

Individuals and organizations can speak out against the ban and advocate for the importance of diverse and inclusive literature in schools and libraries. They can also reach out to their local representatives and urge them to vote against the ban if it is proposed as legislation.