Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Gay marriage now legal in Iowa

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    The http://pamshouseblend.com/diary/10218/the-iowa-supreme-court-decision [Broken] has just unanimously ruled that the equal protection clause of the state constitution requires marriage equality for same-sex couples. As of April 24 when the ruling takes effect, Iowa will join Massachusetts and Connecticut as the only U.S. states where same-sex marriage is currently considered legal.

This happened just one day after the Vermont state legislature approved a measure that would legalize same-sex marriage there without any judicial prompting (the bill is not law yet, and the Republican governor has pledged to veto, but this may not matter as the bill passed with a veto-proof majority in the Senate and just three or four votes shy of a veto-proof majority in the House); and two days after the Parliament of Sweden passed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage there.

I am happy with how this month is going so far :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

quote from wiki

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    sign0072.gif

Eh, close enough.

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So I guess this means that Iowans can expect a dramatic decrease in gay sex.

6. Apr 3, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

No. Once they are married, the frequency and quality of sex will fall off, based on who forgot to do the laundry or neglected to put the cap back on the toothpaste.

7. Apr 3, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gotcha! I said "decrease". :biggrin:

8. Apr 3, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Oops, I missed the humor.

9. Apr 3, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm especially glad to see states beyond New England supporting gay rights. It sets an even stronger precedent to show it's not just a regional trend, but simply the right thing to do nationally.

10. Apr 4, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure Ben Franklin would agree.

11. Apr 4, 2009 #10
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090404/ap_on_re_us/iowa_gay_marriage [Broken]
    This pisses me off. I'm not gay, so I'd better be able to decide where I get to marry someday! They better be careful how they word their law on this.

12. Apr 4, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.time.com/time/2003/franklin/bffranklin7.html [Broken]

And he liked his women.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=H1...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8#PPA68,M1

Jefferson, on the other hand, produced children with his slave, Sally Hemings.

13. Apr 4, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/12/INGTTM5DU41.DTL

14. Apr 4, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is nothing new under the sun. Don't live with your head in the clouds.

15. Apr 4, 2009 #14
    Looks like Europe http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6200005.stm" [Broken]when it comes to debating these sorts of issues in a rational way.

16. Apr 4, 2009 #15

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not?

In any case, such a statement would not have been tolerated if it where made about any other group of people. For example, if someone where to make a similar comment regarding interracial marriages, there would have been an outcry. Equally, if someone had compared interracial sex to bestiality would you have been so quick to jump to their defence?

17. Apr 4, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

This thread is going way off-topic. The issue under consideration is if gay couples can receive legal recognition of their relationships and qualify for things some married people seem to take for granted. Little things like joint-ownership of property, the ability to have belongings, real estate, and financial accounts roll seamlessly to the survivor instead of having to endure probate and will-challenges from disaffected relatives, and the ability to enjoy benefits normally extended to spouses, like family health insurance coverage, more favorable taxation rates, etc.

The arguments against gay marriage often take the form of "where will this lead?" and "what will happen to our society?" Let's see... fairness and equity for people in same-sex relationships, abolition of legal penalties (restricted rights, restricted access to legal protections) against people in same-sex relationships... I could go on, but you get the point. The world is not going to cease to exist if gay people get the same rights that the rest of us take for granted. At worst, some moral absolutists will have to seek treatment for depression after their attempts to derail a long-overdue recognition of the value of the lives of homosexuals fail to overturn the court's decision.

18. Apr 4, 2009 #17
    Or, they could ask for asylum in Saudi Arabia...

19. Apr 4, 2009 #18
    Woo, good!

20. Apr 4, 2009 #19

turbo

Gold Member

:rofl:

21. Apr 4, 2009 #20
    Your point being...? The whole issue here is that some people feel gay marriage is immoral... Apparently by today's standards its not so outlandish to speak out against it. Similarly, some people still feel interracial marriage is wrong. Are their opinions correct? Neither yes or no, an opinion is an opinion. Does the vast majority always agree with someones opinion? No. Are opinions always moral/reasonable/sensible? No. They are opinions nonetheless.

I was not standing up for what D said to clear things up (because apparently there is some misunderstanding). I was respecting his right to an opinion as opposed to (What I felt was blindly) bashing him like some people did. Were his words very very harsh look back, yes they were.

To Cristo-

"Of course, that might be just my liberal [sic] part of the world."
    - good use of unnecessary non-liberal bashing.

"Regardless, as I said above, the argument is pretty moot, since gay sex is not the issue being discussed here! "

-I still dont understand your logic of thinking the statement didnt apply at all to the argument. Its NOT about specifics, its about where we draw the line between immoral and moral...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook