Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Gaza War

1. Nov 15, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I tend to doubt it. I don't think either side really wants an all-out war. Nasty, though.

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    What do you think will calm things down again? Egypt?

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4

russ_watters

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Nov 15, 2012 #5
    I just hope as few civilians on both sides get killed as possible. Hamas intentionally targets civilians, and Israel isn't known for its restraint in killing whomever happens to be in its way (just ask Rachel Corrie). So, it doesn't look good.

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6
    Rachel Corrie's death was her own fault and the fault of the organization that decided to take naive young kids and put them into a war zone with minimal training. The Israel haters of the world spun that story to portray as a courageous young peace activist who in the process of protesting got heartlessly driven over by an Israeli bulldozer. The reality is while she likely was a courageous young (albeit naive and probably very ignorant) peace activist, she got killed because she was in a dangerous area and the bulldozer driver (who had a very limited field of vision due to this being an armored bulldozer) couldn't see her from where she had positioned herself. The Israeli judicial system (which is based very much on British law) investigated the incident in-depth and ruled that it was her fault.

The media showed pictures of "before" and "after" with claims that the first photo was taken right before Rachel was run over and that the second photo had been taken supposedly a few minutes later, right after she had been run over. The reality was that the first photo had been taken hours before her getting killed, and in it, she is clearly very visible to the driver of the bulldozer. The bulldozers in the "before and after" pictures are also different bulldozers. The media that ran these pictures had to retract them when the facts came out.

Here is a good book on the subject: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0984039805/friendsofaishhat/

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Nov 16, 2012 #7

russ_watters

While I do agree with you, lets not turn this into a Rachael Corrie debate.

9. Nov 16, 2012 #8

Evo

This thread will be locked if it becomes another "blame game". We have members from both areas here and I will not tolerate one side claiming the other side is worse, to blame, wrong, evil, yada yada yada.

Discussion about "this" particular incident is allowable as long as it remans civil. No going backwards and posting about prior incidents.

10. Nov 16, 2012 #9

I've got a running bet with a friend of mine as to where World War 3 will start. He says the Middle East, I say China. Personally I don't think this latest Gaza flareup will result in much.

11. Nov 16, 2012 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bold: If only we could require that of everyone in the region :rolleyes:

12. Nov 16, 2012 #11
    !:bugeye:!

13. Nov 16, 2012 #12
    hear, hear!

14. Nov 16, 2012 #13
    I wonder if Gaza has capacity to go on war with Israel, maybe this will be just asymmetrical warfare?

I don't see very high risk of dying from those Gaza rockets. Israel have Iron Dome and second those rockets just seem to fly without any target. But, Israel doesn't struggle a lot to eliminate the rockets' sources.

15. Nov 17, 2012 #14
    The Israeli operation is due to tens of rockets per day being fired almost every day for the last four months from the Gaza strip to the Israeli territory around it.
    Cities 20-40 km around Gaza strip were hearing sirens all day long requiring them to run into shelter.
    Although these rockets rarely kill, because the population has nearby shelters and proper warnings, they do cause property damage once in a while and disrupt the way of living for hundred of thousands of people when classes get cancelled and people are afraid to walk in the streets.

I hope the ammunition in Gaza would run low fast enough for this to end quickly, since Israel's goal is to get a cease fire with Egyptian guarantee, so as soon as Hamas would call it quits, this clash would end.

16. Nov 17, 2012 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

They should all be like I am. then their conflicts would peter out in a couple of generations. :approve:

17. Nov 17, 2012 #16

They don't, in a standup fight against the Israelis the Arabs have fared very badly.

The rockets are essentially World War 2 antique designs without any guidance systems, unless they're launched en masse at one target they aren't very effective. It's true that the casualties will be very light, but that isn't the point. It's more about inflicting psychological damage than physical.

18. Nov 17, 2012 #17
    Yes and Arab countries are still unstable to stand against Israel. This is the reason I don't understand why BBC analysis is so gloomy:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20377911
    even though
    So far about 3 Israelis and 40 Palestinians are dead and fortunately still low for calling this a massacre.

19. Nov 17, 2012 #18
    Because political instability is often a breeding ground for war, as the Falklands so dramatically demonstrated.

20. Nov 20, 2012 #19
  21. Nov 20, 2012 #20

Evo

The posted misinformation has been deleted, and accordingly all posts responding to the misinformation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook