GCD(a,b) = GCD(a,b+a): Clarifying My Error

• Thread starter Vorde
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the greatest common divisor of two numbers is equal to the greatest common divisor of one of the numbers and the sum of the two numbers. The person seeking clarification believes their mistake is in using the concept of symmetry in their reasoning. However, the other person points out that symmetry is not a valid argument and suggests approaching the problem by considering the sets of divisors of the two numbers.
Vorde
I just got back a test and I received 0 for the following problem. I am (somewhat) comfortable with the idea that my justification isn't good enough, but I'm a little unsure where my error is so I would love to have someone illuminate that for me.

The problem was to show that the gcd(a,b) = gcd(a,b+a).

We know from the textbook (I'm allowed to do this; I cited the theorem) that if a|b and a|c then a|b+c. From that we then know that gcd(a,b) is A divisor of (a,b+a), but we don't yet know it is the greatest divisor. I believe my mistake is somewhere in the next line of reasoning: However we also know that gcd(a,b+a), whatever it is, cannot exceed gcd(a,b), because if it did then it would be a divisor of a (and by symmetry in the argument, a divisor of b) greater than the gcd(a,b), which contradicts the definition. It also cannot be less than gcd(a,b) because then it is no longer the greatest common divisor of (a,b+a). Thus gcd(a,b) = gcd(a,b+a).

Thank you very much, and I'll be happy to clarify if I need to.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Vorde said:
However we also know that gcd(a,b+a), whatever it is, cannot exceed gcd(a,b), because if it did then it would be a divisor of a (and by symmetry in the argument, a divisor of b) greater than the gcd(a,b)...

You correctly pinpointed the leap in logic.

The expression gcd(a,b+a) isn't symmetric in a,b. They play different roles there.

In general, employing "symmetry" in a proof is just a way of saying: "... and if I rewrote everything above, switching a & b, I would obtain..." You've noticed that gcd(a,a+b) is a divisor of a, and a symmetric observation would have been that gcd(b,a+b) is a divisor of b.

Though posed in terms of the gcd, this isn't really a question about the gcd. Consider the two sets [tex]D=\{k\in\mathbb N:\enspace k \text{ is a divisor of both } a \text{ and } b\}[/tex] and [tex]D'=\{k\in\mathbb N:\enspace k \text{ is a divisor of both } a \text{ and } a+b\}.[/tex] If you can show that these two sets are equal, then they have the same greatest element.

economicsnerd said:
Though posed in terms of the gcd, this isn't really a question about the gcd. Consider the two sets [tex]D=\{k\in\mathbb N:\enspace k \text{ is a divisor of both } a \text{ and } b\}[/tex] and [tex]D'=\{k\in\mathbb N:\enspace k \text{ is a divisor of both } a \text{ and } a+b\}.[/tex] If you can show that these two sets are equal, then they have the same greatest element.

I see that, and many people (including me after I'd left the test) did it that way or thought about doing it that way.

I still don't quite see why a and b aren't symmetric though? Where is the asymmetry?

What theorem are you invoking when you say, "by symmetry"?? The burden isn't on the reader to overturn the prover's claimed symmetry.

At the level of courses you're currently taking, whenever somebody says, "And by symmetry..." what they really mean is "And a similar argument can also be used to show..." If you don't know what the similar argument is, then you shouldn't cite a result under some claim of symmetry.

In your example, you pointed out the (tautological) fact that gcd(a,a+b) is a divisor of a, and then you claimed that "by symmetry" gcd(a,a+b) is also a divisor of b. But if you try to actually prove that gcd(a,a+b) is a divisor of b, you'll notice that it requires a new argument.

1. What does GCD(a,b) mean?

GCD stands for Greatest Common Divisor, which is the largest number that divides both a and b without leaving a remainder.

2. What is the purpose of the equation GCD(a,b) = GCD(a,b+a)?

The purpose of this equation is to show that the GCD of two numbers is the same whether b is added to a or not. This can be used to simplify calculations or proofs.

3. How is GCD(a,b) calculated?

The GCD of two numbers can be calculated using various methods, such as the Euclidean algorithm or prime factorization. These methods involve finding the common factors of the two numbers and selecting the largest one.

4. What does it mean if GCD(a,b) = 1?

If GCD(a,b) = 1, it means that a and b are relatively prime or coprime. This means that they have no common factors other than 1, and are therefore not divisible by each other.

5. Can GCD(a,b) ever be larger than either a or b?

No, the GCD of two numbers can never be larger than either of the numbers. This is because the GCD is a factor of both numbers, so it must be smaller than or equal to the smallest number.