Finding GCD with Fibonacci: Base Case

In summary, the conversation discusses proving by induction that for m >= 1, a >= F(m+2) and b>= F(m+1) where F(n) is the Fibonacci sequence, given that m divisions are required to find the GCD of a and b. The hint suggests using the Euclidean algorithm for finding the GCD and considering the base case of the smallest distinct positive integers.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Suppose that m divisions are required to find gcd(a,b). Prove by induction that for m >= 1, a >= F(m+2) and b>= F(m+1) where F(n) is the Fibonacci sequence.

Hint: to find gcd(a,b), after the first division the algorithm computes gcd(b,r).

Homework Equations

Fibonacci Sequence: [/B]F(n) = F(n-1) + F(n-2)

Euclidean algorithm for finding the GCD of two numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Hi everyone,

I know that the fibonacci sequence [F(n) = F(n-1) + F(n-2)] looks a lot like the expression
num = q*x + r, which is the expression for a number being divided by x with a quotient q and remainder r.

I know that I am supposed to prove by induction that for m >= 1, a >= F(m+2) and b>= F(m+1) where F(n) is the Fibonacci sequence, but I have no idea how to get started even with the base case or how to prove it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
RoboNerd said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that m divisions are required to find gcd(a,b). Prove by induction that for m >= 1, a >= F(m+2) and b>= F(m+1) where F(n) is the Fibonacci sequence.

Hint: to find gcd(a,b), after the first division the algorithm computes gcd(b,r).

Homework Equations

Fibonacci Sequence: [/B]F(n) = F(n-1) + F(n-2)

Euclidean algorithm for finding the GCD of two numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Hi everyone,

I know that the fibonacci sequence [F(n) = F(n-1) + F(n-2)] looks a lot like the expression
num = q*x + r, which is the expression for a number being divided by x with a quotient q and remainder r.

I know that I am supposed to prove by induction that for m >= 1, a >= F(m+2) and b>= F(m+1) where F(n) is the Fibonacci sequence, but I have no idea how to get started even with the base case or how to prove it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
For a base case, chose the smallest (distinct) positive integers. How many divisions does it take to find their gcd? What are the corresponding fibonacci numbers?

What is the GCD?

The GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) is the largest positive integer that divides evenly into two or more numbers.

What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1.

What is the relationship between GCD and the Fibonacci sequence?

The GCD of any two consecutive Fibonacci numbers is always 1. This means that the only positive integer that divides both numbers evenly is 1.

How can the GCD and Fibonacci relationship be proven?

One way to prove this relationship is through mathematical induction. This involves showing that the relationship holds true for the first few numbers in the sequence, and then using a formula to show that it holds true for all subsequent numbers.

What are some real-world applications of the GCD and Fibonacci sequence?

The GCD and Fibonacci sequence have a wide range of applications in fields such as computer science, biology, economics, and art. They can be used for data encryption, modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, and creating aesthetically pleasing designs.