What is the GCD of A and B on a Union Magma?

In summary, the magma S has the power set P(S), and two elements A and B are in P(S). The GCD of A and B is X, which is a subset of A and B.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Consider the following magma, S is not empty; P(S) is the power set.

(P(S), U)

Now, let A and B be in P(S).

What is the GCD of A and B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I choose a common divisor of A and B under unions, call it X, I get that X is a subset of A and B as the only requirement.

The only way I can interpret "GCD" is that X is the largest such set. Then X = (A intersect B.)

Agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following magma, S is not empty; P(S) is the power set.

(P(S), U)

Now, let A and B be in P(S).

What is the GCD of A and B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I choose a common divisor of A and B under unions, call it X, I get that X is a subset of A and B as the only requirement.

The only way I can interpret "GCD" is that X is the largest such set. Then X = (A intersect B.)

Agree?

You should give a few more definitions here. But it sounds plausible if 'divisor' means set containment and 'greater' is also defined in terms of set containment.

I thought "magma" had something to do with volcanos!

Dick said:
You should give a few more definitions here. But it sounds plausible if 'divisor' means set containment and 'greater' is also defined in terms of set containment.

The operation on the magma is union, so X is a divisor of A if there exists some set L in P(S) so that (X U L) = A.

I think this is equivalent to set containment (X is a subset of A).

I took "greater" to mean larger cardinality in this case. I reckon that the largest set that is a subset of A and B is (A intersect B), and that's why I think it is the GCD of A and B.

1MileCrash said:
The operation on the magma is union, so X is a divisor of A if there exists some set L in P(S) so that (X U L) = A.

I think this is equivalent to set containment (X is a subset of A).

I took "greater" to mean larger cardinality in this case. I reckon that the largest set that is a subset of A and B is (A intersect B), and that's why I think it is the GCD of A and B.

Ah ok, I see. So yes, L 'divides' A is equivalent to L is a subset of A. Defining "greater" in terms of cardinality can get you into some trouble with infinite sets. If the intersection of A and B is infinite, there may be many subsets with the same cardinality contained in it.

HallsofIvy said:
I thought "magma" had something to do with volcanos!

I had to look it up too. A "magma" is a set with a binary operation and that's it. No other properties necessary. Bourbaki invented the terminology.

Dick said:
Ah ok, I see. So yes, L 'divides' A is equivalent to L is a subset of A. Defining "greater" in terms of cardinality can get you into some trouble with infinite sets. If the intersection of A and B is infinite, there may be many subsets with the same cardinality contained in it.

I didn't think of that.. perhaps instead of cardinality, I could say that the greatest common divisor is a superset of all other common divisors?

EDIT: Sorry about the terminology confusion, it is what my professors calls them, yes, a magma (M,*) is a set M with a binary operation *: M -> M.

When we talk about divisibility in a magma (M,*), * becomes analogous to multiplication and M becomes analagous to Z, regardless of what they actually are.

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
I didn't think of that.. perhaps instead of cardinality, I could say that the greatest common divisor is a superset of all other common divisors?

Or just define A is 'greater' than B to mean B is a subset of A. Which amounts to the same thing.

Last edited:
Thank you for the assistance.

1. What is the GCD of A & B on Union Magma?

The GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) of A and B on Union Magma is the largest positive integer that divides both A and B without leaving any remainder.

2. How is the GCD of A & B calculated on Union Magma?

The GCD of A and B on Union Magma is calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves finding the remainder when A is divided by B and then using this remainder as the new value for B in the next iteration. This process continues until the remainder is 0, and the last non-zero remainder is the GCD of A and B.

3. Can the GCD of A & B on Union Magma be negative?

No, the GCD of A and B on Union Magma is always a positive integer since it represents the largest positive integer that divides both A and B.

4. What is the significance of the GCD of A & B on Union Magma?

The GCD of A and B on Union Magma is a useful concept in number theory and has many applications in mathematics, including simplifying fractions, finding common factors, and solving equations involving fractions.

5. Is the GCD of A & B on Union Magma commutative?

Yes, the GCD of A and B on Union Magma is commutative, which means that the order in which A and B are given does not affect the result. This property is also known as the "gcd property."