1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GCD on a union magma

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following magma, S is not empty; P(S) is the power set.

(P(S), U)

Now, let A and B be in P(S).

What is the GCD of A and B?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I choose a common divisor of A and B under unions, call it X, I get that X is a subset of A and B as the only requirement.

The only way I can interpret "GCD" is that X is the largest such set. Then X = (A intersect B.)

Agree?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should give a few more definitions here. But it sounds plausible if 'divisor' means set containment and 'greater' is also defined in terms of set containment.

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I thought "magma" had something to do with volcanos!

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4
    The operation on the magma is union, so X is a divisor of A if there exists some set L in P(S) so that (X U L) = A.

I think this is equivalent to set containment (X is a subset of A).

I took "greater" to mean larger cardinality in this case. I reckon that the largest set that is a subset of A and B is (A intersect B), and that's why I think it is the GCD of A and B.

6. Feb 22, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah ok, I see. So yes, L 'divides' A is equivalent to L is a subset of A. Defining "greater" in terms of cardinality can get you into some trouble with infinite sets. If the intersection of A and B is infinite, there may be many subsets with the same cardinality contained in it.

7. Feb 22, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had to look it up too. A "magma" is a set with a binary operation and that's it. No other properties necessary. Bourbaki invented the terminology.

8. Feb 22, 2014 #7
    I didn't think of that.. perhaps instead of cardinality, I could say that the greatest common divisor is a superset of all other common divisors?

EDIT: Sorry about the terminology confusion, it is what my professors calls them, yes, a magma (M,*) is a set M with a binary operation *: M -> M.

When we talk about divisibility in a magma (M,*), * becomes analogous to multiplication and M becomes analagous to Z, regardless of what they actually are.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. Feb 22, 2014 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or just define A is 'greater' than B to mean B is a subset of A. Which amounts to the same thing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. Feb 23, 2014 #9
    Thank you for the assistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted